The Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Klimovichi

The history of appearing of the Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Klimovichi

A small town under the name of Klimovichi is situated in Mogilev region on the River Kalinitsa. Though this settlement is small (here live about 17 thousand people), however it has very valuable sights which are known throughout the whole territory of Belarus. One of such architectural monuments is the Church of St. Michael the Archangel that is the oldest in the town.  The Church was built of durable brick in the 19th century and refers to the widespread at that time architectural style of classicism.  The temple was consecrated in 1867.

During the Soviet repression the Church was closed. The war period caused small partial destruction of the building. But restoration works were started in the mid-20th century.  Nowadays the domes of this temple are visible in any photo of the town of Klimovichi.

After the restoration works in the mid-20thcentury the Church was changed a lot, became renovated and neat. The façade is painted in bright colors – a combination of white and blue colors is used here.  The main elements which form the overall picture of the composition of the Church are a multi-tiered bell tower and a dome-cross volume with a semicircular apse. The ending of the bell tower and the light drum is domes of an onion shape, which are crowned with bulbous cupolas. The façade is not very rich in decorations, however, among the elements it is worth noting profiled cornices, rosettes of round and rectangular shapes, flat niches and arched window openings. Inside the Church the main element in the interior is considered the space under the dome that covers the arch.  

While visiting the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, every guest will feel the atmosphere of spirituality and tranquility that fills the body with strength and pleasant sensations.