The Transfiguration (the Feast of the Transfiguration / Transfiguration of the Saviour) - is the day when, according to Scripture, the Disciples of Christ saw him in all the grandeur of his divine nature. It is a great holiday.
A lot of icons and prayers are dedicated to this plot. The churches are consecrated to the glory of the Transfiguration.
Transfiguration Church in Chechersk was built on the initiative of the Russian general, the governor-general Z.G. Chernyshev. Catherine II gave him the town of Chechersk. Indifferent and active Chernyshev in his turn contributed to the prosperity of the town greatly.
Church of the Transfiguration was part of the architectural composition of three churches. But it is the only one left. It is said that the Empress honored the consecration of the temple with her presence.
The features of the architectural appearance of the church
According to some reports, the great D. Kvarnegi designed the Church of the Transfiguration. He designed it, though did not participate in its construction. Kvarnegi was a famous architect in his time. If we consider the architecture frozen music (as F. Schelling said), Kvarnegi filled St. Petersburg and the surrounding area with music.
Visible and identifiable from distance major elements, the nobility and the severity of lines, antique harmony - are all characteristics of classicism. The Church of the Transfiguration in Chechersk possesses these characteristics.
The temple has rare form, especially for Belarus churches - the rotunda. The circle in the cross-section of the building with a diameter of 17 m, a hemisphere dome, separated from the walls of the building with stepwise drum are the characteristics of structures of rotunda type. There is a tower bell with a faceted dome in the vestibule of the church. The windows are rectangular and small. Rhythm is embodied in the repetition of niches and pilasters around the circle outside. These pilasters as if bear the dome tent. The images of Ascension and the Dormition of the Mother of God, kept in the church, were written by invited Italian icon painters. Their paintings are also present on the walls of the interior.
It is interesting, that in our time, the design features of the Church in Chechersk are studied by builders, the monographs are devoted to it, and modern constructions out of wood or metal attain to its level. Rafters, the features of fastenings, the geometry of the dome are not just an architectural highlights, but the peak of engineering thought.
Echoes of the past
By the end of the 19th century the church was in disrepair, the religious services were carried out rather rarely. During the religious persecution, the archive of District Union of Consumer Cooperatives was placed in its premises. Maybe it saved it from destruction. In 1946, following the decision of the government, the building was officially given to believers. Since then the temple functions.
The unique icon “Harrowing of Hell” is kept in the altar of the church that dates back to 1678 year (the author is Ian Sankovich). This is so-called Easter story of the icon that is associated with the resurrection of Christ.
How many prayers this icon heard! How many souls were looking for sanctuary, comfort, salvation in the small Church of the Transfiguration in Chechersk.
The temple is visible from afar; it closes the panorama of two intersecting streets. They both lead to the temple, to the beauty and harmony of the architectural landmarks of the city of Chechersk.