St Michael The Archangel Church in Smorgon (former Calvinist cathedral)

St Michael The Archangel Church in Smorgon (former Calvinist cathedral)

Smorgon

Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries

St Michael the Archangel church, former Calvinist cathedral, is located in Smorgon, the north of the Grodno region.

It is suggested that the building was built in 1606-1612. It belonged to the Calvinists, followers of Calvinism - one of the movements of Protestantism that appeared at the beginning of the XVI century. The building was built at the expense of statesman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Kristof Zenovich.

However, according to other versions, the construction of the church took place much earlier. The church appeared in Smorgon in 1503-05 and was Catholic. The building was erected at the expense of Yuri Zenovich. Later, it belonged to the Calvinists.

According to another version, the church appeared in the 50s of the XVI century, but it was built of wood and only later rebuilt of stone.

In 1621, the building belonged to the Catholics. As a result, it became known as the Holy Trinity Church.

Throughout its history, the church was Orthodox from 1866 to 1918.

During the First World War, the church suffered a lot and its part was destroyed.

In 1921 – 26, the church became Catholic again. At that time, Smorgon as part of Western Belarus joined Poland.

The church was closed in 1947. The building was refurbished in a store and warehouse.

In the early 1970s, it was restored. In 1970-80-ies, there was an exhibition hall.

In 1990, the building returned to Catholics. Nowadays, the Catholic church is named after St. Michael the Archangel.

Since it was the building of Calvinists, it has a typical modest form. The building is an octahedron, elongated along the longitudinal axis. It has a two-tiered bell tower. A sacristy is located in the northern part of the building. It is round-shaped inside. There is a spherical dome with frescoes. The building features elements of defensive architecture. Its walls are up to 3,5 meters thick in some places. Windows are semi-circular. There is also a small cylindrical tower with a spiral staircase. It is suggested that the same tower was added to the other side in order to make the front part of the church symmetrical.

Nowadays, the town's sight of the Renaissance period is included in the State list of objects of historical and cultural significance.

 

 

Map location

Back to the list