The Church of the Virgin Mary Assumption in Skidel

The representatives of the noble Belarusian-Lithuanian Radziwill family owned lots of Belarusian lands. They built rich and refined estate-park complexes, improved summer and winter residences and tried to develop towns at all cost there. Thanks to their efforts, today many modern Belarusian locations are cultural and economic centers of the republic.

Skidel town of Grodno region is no exception. One of the representatives of the Radziwill family became an owner of the location in 1615. It had been a royal court before that moment. Thus, brewing and tanning factories began to appear and actively develop in Skidel in the early XVII century. By 1644, there were held funfairs twice a year and auctions twice a week. Skidel became part of the Russian Empire in the late XVIII century, and the town came to possession of Poland in 1921. Approximately at the same time, in 1870, there was constructed the Church of the Assumption that has preserved its original appearance up to now.

The Catholic Church was made of red brick and is considered to be historical and cultural heritage of the Republic Belarus. Despite the fact that the time has affected a little the exterior of the church, it continues to impress with its majesty and monumentality not only permanent parishioners but also visitors of Skidel. By the way, the sanctuary belongs to the estate complex of the Antonovich-Chertorynsky family that was constructed in the middle of the XIX century. Unfortunately, the manor house has not survived. Only the church, a water mill, several ancient dwelling houses, the most beautiful park and brama presenting two circular towers with tented top parts and arced openings have remained of the whole complex.

Above the main entry of the church, there are three folding windows through which light comes into the church. The sun rays lighten images of the saints shown in the icons. The inner decoration of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary does not stand out for its richness. There is an icon above the main altar; there are two statues of Jesus of different sizes at the sides. Though the parish is rather small but parishioners always come here to seek advice, pray or confess their sins, often simply to find the peace of soul and mind.

A long stone staircase leads to the church; it as if tunes the parishioners to a certain mood. There is a special atmosphere; the nature radiates only calm and stillness. A pleasant melodic polyphony of birds and light breaths of wind make visitors return to these beautiful and picturesque places again and again. Walking along the paths and walkways near the church in the estate park, you can feel as if in some fairy tale and look back in time, a century ago, when princes and their guests from other regions wandered around the park.

Excavations have been carried out in the castle over the past 20 years. Festivals, knight’s tournaments and costumed performances have become more often here. It is a huge attraction for travelers from different towns and countries.

Today anyone willing can visit this amazing place in Grodno region called the Lida Castle. A trip to this area is included in many tourist routes that are created for a closer and more detailed acquaintance with the culture, history and architecture of the country.