Museum was for the first time opened for the visitors on October 22, 1944, when the war was still continuing. Born in the fire of the war, among the ruins, it was the first one dedicated to the history of the past war and today is the largest national repository of the wartime material and spiritual relics of the history of war during 1941-1945.
New semi-circle building stands weald behind the stela «Minsk, the Hero City». Its central façade is designed as a symbolic salute in celebration of Victory in which rays ten landmark events of the wartime are depicted – from the defence of Brest Fortress to placing the Victory flag over the Reichstag.
Artistic design of new exhibition is specific in a wide use of reconstructions. Its main aim is to create historical environment for maximum submersion of each visitor. The exposition is provided with various audio and video means of demonstrating voices, sounds, music, video materials, pictures of genuine documents and information materials.
The area of exhibition halls makes up more than 4,000 m2 presenting over 8 thousand museum objects, scientific-auxiliary and exposition materials.
The Museum funds consist of 30 collections and number more than 150 thousand of depository items: there are photographs, honors, documents, letters and personal belongings of the Great Patriotic War participants – front-line soldiers, partisans and underground activists. Two Museum collections «Handwritten journals» and «Self-made weapons» have the status of historical and cultural value of the 1st category.
The Belarusian State Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War is one of the most visited museums in the Republic of Belarus.
Visitors are offered audio guides in Russian, Belarusian, English, German, Spanish and Chinese.