The locality is situated on the river Servach. It became an agro-town relatively recently, but it inherently remains a glorious Belarusian village with 800 inhabitants, 300 yards and developed social infrastructure.
It is not a simple village; its history is characterized by the greatness of spirit, which is reflected in the events and moods of present. An important thing is that almost the whole world Catholic community is aware of its existence and prays for it in their prayers.
History, the symbol of faith and blessing
Budslau was firstly mentioned in the chronicles in 1504, when Prince Alexander gave this land to pied-monks (the Bernardines) from Vilnius. They built the first religious building – that time it was a small, wood made construction, and then it transformed into a magnificent stone church, irreplaceable in the whole Catholic world. And the primogenitor of this construction– a small "budynak" (i.e. "building") - gave the name to the settlement: Budslau that in Slavic meaning signifies - "master-builder".
Right after that, houses and schools were built, roads were paved, including railway; children were raised and born. And at the same time – people developed spiritually, strengthened their faith, built and improved their temple. Now the church in Budslau with all its buildings and ceremonies is considered to be a unique building, proclaimed as an architectural monument of national importance. Elements of the late baroque period, rococo, eclecticism can be observed in the interior and exterior of this magnificent building.
Several constructions of the village, which have historical significance, shall be mentioned:
1. Bernardine Church
2. Clergy house
3. Water mill
4. Ledovnya (underground storehouse were ice was kept)
5. The ribbon type of building
Though not only these buildings attract the church visitors and tourists.
In 1613 the Pope gave the icon of the Mother of God to pilgrim-voevoda (commander of an army, governor of a province) from Minsk. Some time later, persuaded by the monks, Jan Pats – it was the name of voevoda, donated it to the monastery.
The complicated history of this land is closely intertwined with the history of religion and religious institutions. But no matter how difficult it was and what kind of tough and hard events occurred, the icon never left this land, it miraculously kept safe the church, as well as believers and the land. It withstood everything. Some sources mention the miracles it performed at different times; consequently these events gave it the status of “wonderworking icon”.
In connection with the 400th anniversary of its appearance on the Belarusian land, the icon was crowned, and now it is considered to be a Belarusian sacred object.
Social part of history
Budslau’s social chronicles of different periods are also interesting. Artists and poets lived and created here, a lot of people engaged in politics. Pavlina Vikentievna Myadzelka was born in Budslau as well. She was the first performer of the role Pavlinka from Kupala’s the same name play. She is buried here.
There are some tragic stories of the town’s history. They are connected with the Holocaust on the territory of Belarus: during the Second World War the occupying forces organized ghetto on the territory of Budslau.
As a part of so-called solving policy of this problem, the executions of the Jewish population were carried out in different parts of the town.
Nowadays two memorials in remembrance of the victims of the genocide were set up.
A small town located on the ancient Belarusian land, Budslau, is full of greatness. It continues its story worthy, keeps shrines and spiritual values, and always welcomes visitors and shares goodness, faith, and the most valuable thing for the Belarusians - warmth and kindness. Is not it a true miracle?