David-Gorodok is located in the Brest region, the western part of Belarus. The famous Horyn river flows through this lovely town. According to statistics 2016, there are 5 946 inhabitants in David-Gorodok.
THE HISTORY OF DAVID-GORODOK
The first mention of the town dates back to 1127. According to ancient records, David-Gorodok was founded by the Grand Duke Vladimir-Volynsky. The town was called in honor of this great ruler. It is worth mentioning that the Polish troops were defeated by Feodor Volkonsky in 1655, as a result, the town was captured. However, David-Gorodok was rebuilt after large destructions. After the second division of Rzeczpospolita in 1793 David-Gorod became the central town of the Minsk province. It is important to note that David-Gorodok has a rich history.
CRAFT IN DAVID-GORODOK
Despite the fact that authority changed quite often, craft always remained the same. Saddlery, tailoring, cooper's craft flourished in the town. People appreciated the work of carpenters, woodworkers, master masons. Soapmaking, fishing and shipbuilding were common in David-Gorodok.
David-Gorodok is considered one of the oldest settlements on Belarusian lands where the St. George Church, which was founded in 1724, exists today. This church is one the most famous buildings of the XVIII century. Few know that the St. George church is situated on an old cemetery with a large number of ancient stone tombs which have absolutely amazing and sometimes even mysterious outlines.
The church and cemetery are situated on the hilly bank of the small lake. This lake called Seshka is a branch of the Horyn river, which over time had changed its course. Channels, which connected this branch with Horyn, had dried.
The church represents a peculiar temple which is famous due to its simple construction. It was considered a model for constructing a huge number of Belarusian buildings of the XVIII century.
THE JEWISH COMMUNITY IN DAVID-GORODOK
In the 16th century, Jews from west European regions began to settle David-Gorodok. Most settlers of the Jewish community were in craft and trade. In the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth they had benefits and their own governance. Rabbis lived in the town, synagogues existed, schools were opened for Jewish children.
In the 20th century, the majority of Jews lived on the central street of David-Gorodok. During the Second World War, the German soldiers created a ghetto and destroyed almost all Jewish people.
Today David-Gorodok is a peaceful and quiet place. Electromechanical and Bakery plants, as well as tool production, are the largest enterprises in the town.