The railway station in Osipovichi
Architecture, Industrial buildings
It is difficult to imagine the active and rapid development of towns without roads. All know the largest and the oldest trade route “From the Varangians to the Greeks” that connected about hundred towns and many countries. It is impossible not to remember the paved Roman road that has survived since the XV century and is still of great interest to historians and tourists. And in times of battles, especially during the Second World War, the railway was of key importance in the outcome of many battles. Thanks to the railway, the Soviet authorities could deliver military equipment, supplies and to transport people to any place in Belarus.
Many of the railway stations that were built in the late XIX – early XX centuries today having a great architectural value. One of these, of course, is the station in Osipovichi in Mogilev region. This railway station is an architectural monument of the XX century that appeared due to the construction of railway tracks in the direction of Roslavl-Krichev-Mogilev-Osipovichi in 1931.
By the way, that century-old building had a hard fate. It was in Osipovichi railway junction where the largest land transports diversion for all history of the Great Patriotic War took place. Then, in the midst of the battle for Mogilev region, local partisans could destroy four enemy trains with ammunition, fuel and military equipment. That heroic deed had a great influence on the outcome of further battles.
At the end of the Great Patriotic War, when the Germans retreated, they tried to cause the greatest possible damage to the towns of Belarus including the railway junctions. The railway station in Osipovichi was no exception, where the Nazis destroyed almost all railway objects. With their restoration, the liberated town began to be reconstructed.
In 1956, the large-scale construction of a new station was finished. It was a significant event for the townsmen as the restored railroad greatly improved the level of service and transportation of passengers. During next few years, the railway junction was equipped with the loudspeaker communication and semi-automatic locking with lights. A pedestrian bridge was erected across the railway track approximately at the same time. 1989 became the milestone for the station in Osipovichi: it was at that time when a complex for major repairs, specializing in large-tonnage containers, was put into operation at the wagon depot. By the way, that complex was one of the largest in all railway lines throughout the USSR.
Only an administrative building, several service corpuses and a locomotive depot have been left from the monument of railway architecture. Some of them were built in the late XIX century; therefore, they are of great interest even for those who do not know much about the history of railways.