The building of Brest male gymnasium
Architecture, Industrial buildings
The first mentions about Brest male gymnasium are dated 1903. An educational institution, the designer of which was the military engineer A. Tretyakov, appeared there at that time. The building was constructed of brick. Traditional elements of the late 19th – early 20th century can be seen on the external facade.
Originally the gymnasium was built in accordance with the layout: a U-sahped form of the building and two storeys. The general composition of the building was crowned with a massive cornice. There was a corridor layout inside, classrooms faced southwards.
Significant changes occurred in 1955-1960. The authorities decided not to change the form of the construction, but the second floor was added. At that time, the city had a need for new schools, so city planners solved the problem in such a way. Today the gymnasium has the same appearance. The massive cornice was removed and only decorative protuberances indicate about its past. The roof was laid in accordance with modern trends.
The life of the gymnasium in dates and events
The gymnasium received a long name right after the construction: “Full male gymnasium of his Imperial Highness Tsarevich Alexey Nikolaevich”. We cannot know how pupils of the gymnasium pronounced that name but the name did not exist for a long time.
So in 1921 when Brest was a part of Poland, the building of the male gymnasium was handed over to the Poles. They organized here the sate gymnasium of Romuald Traugutt. This prestigious institution existed under the leadership of the Polesye Voivodeship.
Brest was returned to Belarus in 1939 and the school of modern education was located here until the hostilities of the World War II. During the War the male gymnasium like many other institutions of that type became a hospital. It worked in 1941-1946.
The modern life of the building
Subsequently, the need in the hospital disappeared and the building of the gymnasium was handed over to the Teachers’ Institute. Today there are several Departments of Brest State University named after A. S. Pushkin. Interpreters of foreign languages, psychologists, linguists and social workers receive a higher education in the building of the former gymnasium.
From a tourist point of view, the architectural building is in a good place. A Park-Conservatory is on the left of it, the Church of St. Nicholas is right opposite, and the railway station is behind. The institution is situated almost on the main street of Brest. You can see it walking along pedestrian Soviet Street.
Thanks to such an excellent neighborhood, any tour of Brest includes visiting the former male gymnasium. Tourists rarely want to enter, but they always appreciate the appearance. The city authorities have to constantly look after the appearance of the building that the same number of visitors would want to see it.