The Transfiguration Church in Shklov
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
In the Mogilev region, on the Dnieper River, there is a cucumber capital of Belarus - the town of Shklov. Shklov is famous for its vast harvest of cucumbers, which are grown from year to year, sold in local markets and supplied to other countries. In the center, opposite the city market, you will see one of the most creative monuments of our time - a cucumber monument built in 2007. On a cucumber a bronze suit with a butterfly, an unusual hat shape, and in the hands of "Mr. Cucumber" holds a basket with a crop. Every year in Shklov celebrate Cucumber Day with songs, saltations, dances and other traditional entertainments.
For those who are interested in the religious architecture of Belarus, we advise you to pay attention to the Savior-Transfiguration Church. This is an eclectic monument, made in pseudo-Byzantine style with features of "modern", which is a white four-domed building, the construction of which was started in the end of the XVIII century by the favorite of Empress Catherine II, Semyon Zorich. Semyon Gaurilovich Zorich arrived in Shklov in 1778 and in the same year founded a noble military school and a serf theater.
The story says that Zorich laid the foundation of the Shklov church, but the construction was continued by the local resident Agafia Sidorova, which Shklovchane is revered to this day. A tragic story is connected with the personality of Agafia. Being a bride, she went with her fiancé in a long way, but on the way there was an accident, the wedding crew turned over, the horses fled, and Agafia's hair got stuck in the wagon wheel. The groom managed to jump out and fled, leaving his crippled bride to die in a dense forest, lonely and absolutely helpless. Despite the wounds and pain, Agafia survived and began to help people with advice or business, using the gift of divination that she opened after the disaster. All the funds that the seer received were invested in the construction of the Transfiguration Church. In June of each year, believers gather in church, recall Agafia and hold a memorial service. Someone comes here, referring to the deceased for help or advice, believing that even in heaven, Agafia helps all those who ask and need. The church holds a portrait of the holy visionary, discovered by the staff of the Egoryevsky Museum of Local Lore, which claims that it was written from Agafyushka itself in 1809. On the oil canvas there is a distinct inscription - 31 years. We can only guess what this figure means. Historians suggest that this can be both the age of the seer and the number of years that Agafia spent, practically without movement, lying on one side after a tragic event that turned her life around.
The construction of the stone church stretched for a hundred years, and in 1905, the Transfiguration Church in Shklov was consecrated. It is important to note that during the Second World War, the Shklov shrine remained open to all parishioners, despite the mass closure of religious sites.
On the shrine's territory you can see an open-air museum, in which various types of stone crosses are collected in order to preserve the historical heritage.
What other interesting objects of Shklov are interesting for visiting? The city park is one of the ten best Belarusian parks, being a unique object of garden and park art. Walking in the park, pay attention to the monument to General Semyon Zorich from grateful Shklovchan. No less interesting object is the ancient town hall, 43 meters high. The Town Hall building attracts Shklov guests both with its bright architectural idea and with many urban myths and legends connected with its history.