Holy Trinity Church in Indura village
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
Church of the Holy Trinity in Indura (Grodno region) – is a light Catholic temple, within which there is a miraculous icon of the Mother of God of Indura. The church looks especially solemn at Christmas and Easter. Indura is famous for its Easter “pussy-willow bouquets”.
The history of the construction of the temple
Catholic parish of Indura village dates back to 1522, when the first wooden church was built on the initiative of the village constable of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Yan Dovoyna. Dovoyna donated money for the renovation of the temple in 1546.
The stone church instead of the wooden one was built in the village only in 1815 (in some sources – in 1825). The parish was erected under the direction of the priest Radzevich. As the former temples, a brick church was consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity.
Church after reconstruction
At the beginning of the 20 century, the church was renovated according to the project of an architect Vladimir Sroka. Renewed temple acquired the features of eclectic style with elements of neo-baroque and neoclassicism.
The transept with a small semi-circular apse was built to the eastern wall. The Neo-Baroque chapel was added to the southern side of the main facade and a tower-bell – to the north one.
The main facade of the renovated building has four-columned Doric portico with large archways above the choir. The wooden figures of saints are placed in archway niches. Three-nave shrine is decorated with three wooden altars performed in the style of late Classicism. There is a bas-relief image of the Holy Trinity and All-Seeing Eye on the main altar. There is an icon of the Mother of God of Indura on the left-side altar.
In 1900, the church walls were covered with magnificent frescoes “Saint Francis takes Christ down from the Cross”, “Jesus and the fishermen during a storm”, “The Last Supper”. There is also an old baroque organ.
Church yard is fenced; there is a newly constructed “Grotto of Mary” in its territory. Several sculptures are installed near the building – “Jesus saddened” and “Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows”, as well as the Lithuanian post-chapels.
Interesting facts about the Church of the Holy Trinity
- The Church of the Holy Trinity of Indura village is also known for the fact that it is the only Catholic Church in Belarus, in which there were Jesuit fathers even during the Soviet era. The church has never been closed. Only since 2009 parish priests have served in the church.
- For five years, from 1905 to 1909, there was a woman religious institute “Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary” in the church. Nuns were teachers in school.
- The senior priests of the church constantly and consistently fought for a sober way of life in the village. A special contribution to the sobriety introduced a Lithuanian priest Kazimeras Zhilis who served there during the Soviet period. People called him “priest-volcano”.
- The residents of Indura are very proud of not only the temple in their village, but also of the fact that the art of bouquets creating on Palm Sunday is in the list of intangible cultural heritage, being under state protection. Unique “pussy-willow bouquets” are created entirely of white willow. They are decorated with different herbs, cones, flowers.
Trinity Church is located in the center of Indura village (69 Rogachevskogo Street). The temple belongs to the Grodno diocese (eparchy) of the Roman Catholic Church in Belarus.