Holy Assumption church in the village of Selets

Holy Assumption church in the village of Selets

Selets

Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries

Berezovsky district is rich in historical and architectural monuments like no other district. The chapel of St. Lawrence, the Orthodox Holy Assumption church, built in retrospective Russian style (constructed in 1870), and the Church of St. Alexis (1912) are the main sights of one of the most ancient villages in the region – Selets. In addition, the village is located near a picturesque water body, which makes it valuable not only as an important point on a tourist route, but also as a great place to relax close to the purest Belarusian nature. 

Historical background for the appearance of the architectural monument 

The village of Selets was mentioned in historical chronicles for the first time in 1397. From time immemorial a lot of historical events took place on the territory of this small village. Selets entered into the history as a place on approaches to which one of the key and historically significant battles of the "war at homeland" (Poland) took place.

In 1733 voivode elections were held in Selets. Stanislav Leshchynski, a voivode from Krakow, won the elections. However, it was not he who came to power, but his rival - the son of the ruling King August III Wettin-Sas, who was supported simultaneously by Prussia and Russia. Since both candidates for the post had allies (some supported Sasa, others – Lyas), their confrontation resulted in an armed conflict. Then the village was erased from the face of the earth, Krakow voivode suffered a crushing defeat. The local castle burnt down as well, which had been built at its time by the decree of Queen Bona herself.

All these events had happened more than a century before the Holy Assumption church was erected. 

Architectural features of the Holy Assumption Church in Selets 

The Holy Assumption Church in Selets is a monument of retrospective Russian style. It was erected in the period of 1863-1870 and now it is located right in the village centre. The church was built of stone, since before its erection there had been a wooden church on this place, which was eventually closed. The funds for its construction were allocated by the government, a local landowner named Simon, and caring parishioners, who needed the church as well.

The temple building is erected of bricks and consists of four parts: a bell tower, crowned with an onion cupola, a refectory, the main bulk and a pentagonal apse. There is a hipped four-pitched roof and a bulbous-shaped cupola, which is held by an octagonal reel, above the main bulk. The ancient icons of the XVIII and XIX centuries: the Monk Seraphim of Sarov, the holy apostles Peter and Paul, St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and other icons, which at one time were donated to the temple, are kept in the church.

In the XIX - early XX century, a fraternity and two schools - male and female functioned under the church. After the Second World War, in 1945, the parish was officially recognized and registered by the Soviet authorities.

                

Map location

Back to the list