Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya church in Smorgon
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
Smorgon is a district center, located in the northern part of Grodno region. The first mention of the town dates back to 1503 when it belonged to representatives of the Zenovich family.
Like other towns of Belarus, Smorgon has a number of objects which attract the attention of tourists. These objects include monuments of architecture of the town. For example, St. Michael the Archangel church, has preserved to present days since the middle of the XVI century.
Transfiguration Church is another important object. The church, opened at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is built of stone. Its architecture, as well as its name, reminds about another once existed Orthodox Church in Smorgon. The construction of the modern cathedral took place in 1989. The construction was based on the project of architect Anatoly Shabalin. Nowadays, it is the largest building in the town that can accommodate about 1,500 parishioners. The church is located on the highest point of the town; therefore it is possible to see the building fr om different places in the town.
Transfiguration Cathedral is a five-domed building in the Byzantine style.
The church, which is the only Orthodox Church in Smorgon, was built at the expense of entrepreneurs and with the help of donations from parishioners. The government provided financial support as well.
The consecration of the church took place on September 6, 2009 by Archbishop Gurias – the bishop of the Diocese of Novogrudok and Lida. Philaret Metropolitan of Minsk and Slutsk and Artemius Bishop of Grodno and Volkovysk took part in the consecration ceremony.
The former Transfiguration Church in Smorgon stood in the place wh ere the main post office and cinema “Kosmos” buildings are located today. It was a stone church, built in 1840. Before it, there was a wooden church. According to records, the church was mentioned in the XVII century.
During the World Wars I and II, the building was partially destroyed but it was restored.
In 1962, the church closed. At the end of the 60-es of the XX century, it was completely destroyed.
The modern church is located on Krasnoarmeyskaya Street 3.