The school was opened in 1617 and is the oldest educational institution on the territory of the country. It is believed that at one time it was the center of the spiritual development of Western Europe.
Like most buildings of the time, the school was made of wood, but in the 19th century the old building was replaced with a stone one, made in the style of classicism. Straight lines and clear proportions give the structure a strict solemn appearance. Now here is located one of the buildings of the city gymnasium No. 1.