Simon Budny Museum in the village of Losk
The village of Losk is located in Volozhin district of Minsk region. It is known for the variety of historical monuments, which distinguish it from other Belarusian villages.
The history of the village, which used to be called Loshesk, came from the ancient settlement, which has survived until today. This is the first place the tourists pay attention to, since it is situated just off the road.
There are two temples in the village: the temple of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which does not function now and the stone church of St. George. There is a holy source of Healer Panteleimon behind the temple, which is annually visited by hundreds of tourists.
In the second half of the 16th century a printing house of Simon Budny operated in the village. A memorial plaque is set up in memory of him on the school building.
Simon Budny museum narrates about the life and work of the Belarusian humanist, researcher, historian and philosopher. As we know from history, he published the famous "Catechism" in 1532, which stated his religious-political, political and pedagogical ideas.
In the 16th century Losk belonged to Jan Kishka. In 1570 he decided to create his printing house in Losk, which would publish reformist books only, and would criticize the long-standing Orthodox Church dogmas. Simon Budny was the owner of that printing press. Many of Simon Budny’s anti-religious books were published in this printing house.
Simon Budny said that a creative person should be given as much freedom as possible and the cultures of other nations should be added to the culture of Belarus.
Besides that Budny published his books, he also translated other works. The most famous book he translated from French tells about the events of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre, when Catholics slaughtered thousands of Protestants. At that time a religious struggle was happening in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and Budny prevented the Duchy from many problems with the help of that book.
Simon Budny’s works found many supporters, who sustained and shared his views, but there were also many opponents.
In Budny’s lifetime a great part of his books had been destroyed already, and the part which has managed to preserve is a rarity. Those books, which were left, can only be found in the famous libraries of the world, with the note "published in Losk".
In the last years of Simon Budny’s life he stated, that the existence of private property, participation in wars and work for the government do not contradict Holy Scripture by any means. Therefore, many associates turned away from him, as their views were fully dispersed.
During the assembly in Luklovitsi Simon Budny was strictly forbidden to engage in the reform activity. That is why he had to leave Losk and move to another place. He moved to the village of Vishnevo in Volozhin district. Simon Budny died in 1573.
The museum named after Simon Budny, keeps the village historical memory, its heritage, culture and traditions. It attracts tourists, who are interested in the cultural heritage of Belarus.