The memorial complex "Breakthrough" in the village of Paperino
Historical and cultural complexes
The heroism of Soviet soldiers will remain forever in the memory and hearts of the people, who are lucky enough to live under the peaceful sky. For over 60 years the Belarusians have been doing their best to create many monuments and memorial complexes on our territory for each new generation to honor the memory of the heroes and try to solve all conflicts peacefully.
During the years of the great Patriotic war a lot of people, who have made incredible feats for the sake of liberation of our motherland, came into the history. The memorial complex "Breakthrough" was established in honor of the sixteen guerrilla groups of the blockade and their heroic deed. This monument is located in the village of Paperino Ushachi district, Vitebsk region.
Their feat really deserves our full attention and boundless respect. Here, in the village of Paperino, guerrilla units under the leadership of V. E. Lobanok managed to break out of encirclement and had been fighting against the Nazis until reinforcement came. Later commander Lobanok was awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. Thanks to the breakthrough on 11 April 1944, not only many partisans managed to survive, but also another 15 000 civilians received a well-deserved right to live in peace.
By the beginning of 1944 almost 300 kilometers of defensive lines were located on the territory of the village and close to it. Guerrilla units carefully developed and established defensive trenches and bunkers there. Soviet soldiers had created an excellent defense system on the territory of Vitebsk region: they mined fields, dug up roads and filled them up with trees, burned all the wooden bridges to make conquering of Belarusian territory harder for the enemy.
Visitors can see a bronze relief plate, looking like a map, at the entrance to the memorial, which displays the scheme of guerrillas’ defense. The information written on the block will amaze even the most distant fr om history people: slightly more than 17 000 of our soldiers defeated 60,000 men of the enemy! Courage won, now it's immortalized forever in the sculptural composition of the memorial complex “Breakthrough".
The monument in the village of Paperino looks like an 11–meter high concrete wall, which is split into two equal parts. There is a bronze figure of a partisan in the centre. There are also 33 boards with the names of 1,450 soldiers–heroes a little to the right of this composition. Those, who lost their lives on the battlefield, fighting against the enemies, are honored there. Only one third of the total number of dead soldiers is buried on the site of the complex.
The section of the road, wh ere the guerrillas walked along in 1944, was concreted. 16 oak-trees were planted on a hill to symbolize strength and courage of 16 guerrilla’s brigades. By the way, this memorial is among the most significant and memorable places that reflect the fighting in the great Patriotic war.
"The Last camp", a sculpture of three bronze rifles, structured as a pyramid, is considered to be the compositional point of the entire complex. The ribbon with the inscription is fixed here. It tells that the guerrillas have done their sacred duty for the country and fell in a battle.
The complex "Breakthrough" was opened in the summer of 1974, thirty years after the tragic events had happened. The monuments were made by talented Belarusian sculptors and architects A. Anikeychik, Y. Gradov and L. Levin. These artists were also the authors of many other monuments, devoted to military actions.