The history of the memorial stone on the site of the battle of 1812 in Pleshchenitsy
Sculpture, monuments, memorials
Pleshchenitsy is a small but very cozy and fairly well-known village that announced its existence in XI-XII centuries. It is located in 59 km from Minsk in the direction of Ostroshitskiy Gorodok. Initially, the village consisted of a small building, one side of which was a connecting link between the Russian lands and the Baltic States. And the other end of the village connected the roads of Minsk and Polotsk. In short, this village is a great escape for any traveler. It is worth a stop if you are looking for a quiet, spiritual vacation and simultaneously want to see the local attractions.
These places and areas are historically connected with active military operations at the beginning of the XIX century. In the village of Pleshchenitsy there is a memorial stone, an interesting monument. It was established in memory of the battle that took place in this place in 1812 between Russian and French army.
During the Patriotic war of 1812 the path of attack and retreat of Napoleon lied through Pleshchenitsy. It is here that the Russian army led by Kutuzov inflicted a crushing blow to the French. In honor of the victory of the Great Russian commander in the village there is a memorial sign, which has become a symbol of courage and steadfastness of Russian soldiers who took part in the battle. The memorial stone is located on the site where once the HOMESTEAD of Tyszkiewicz was. It was installed in 1987, right in the village. On the stone there is a small plaque with the inscription, which informs that from 19 to 21 November in 1812 (date indicated in the old style) the Russian army under Kutuzov's leadership dealt a decisive blow to the French forces of Napoleon.
The history of the village is very rich and attractive not only for military events. There are other interesting and memorable sights too. On the territory of Pleshchenitsy there are burial mounds and a monument to the artisans of the Jews brutally murdered during the war. In the village there are several beautiful Christian churches, available for viewing. This is St. Peter and Paul Cathedral, the Church of Christians of Evangelical Faith. As for cultural attractions there are several museums and a sports complex here.
One of the sights stands out from other historical places of the village and differs from them; it is a kind of "a living monument". It's a live pine tree with branches growing in the form of a loop, which was a place of punishment of underground and young patriots during the war.