Holy Cross Church in Luninets
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
Historical information about Luninets
Luninets is a small town located 228 kilometers from the regional center – Brest. It occupies an important location and is a railway junction. In addition, the city is located in a very picturesque place – on the Pripyat River bank.
Luninets history began in 1449, but its name was then slightly different – Malyy Lulin. Even a century later, it was called almost as nowadays, and Lulinets as the locality was given into the possession of Polotsk Voivod Stanislav Dovoyny in 1540. It was subordinated to Dyatlovichesky monastery since 1622.
Luninets was a part of the Russian Empire in 1793 and in state ownership since 1842. In connection with the laying of railway tracks, the town grew and was developed rapidly. At the beginning of the twentieth century, it was occupied by the Germans, and it was a part of Poland as a center of Luninets povet of Polesye province from 1919 to 1939. It was during that period when the construction of the Church of the Holy Cross was completed. It is the main attraction of Luninets. At the same time, the Church of St. Joseph was built, that attracted no less interest on the part of tourists coming to Luninets.
Since 1939, Luninets was a part of the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic. During the Second World War, it was under the occupation for three years – from July 1941 to July 1944.
The architecture of the Church of the Holy Cross
The construction of the Church the Holy Cross started in 1912 and was completed only after 9 years – in 1921. A shrine made of wood had already existed prior to its appearance. The architectural style in which the brick building was built was retrospect-Russian. The temple itself was a cube-shaped construction with hipped roof and five cupolas. A belfry is adjoined to it from west, topped with bulb-shaped cupola, and also there is a wide refectory. In addition, the apse of semi-circular shape is adjoined to the construction, which opens in a wide light, having an arch shape. The sacristies are located on the eastern side. The main entrance is decorated with the help of an arch portal, under which a biformium window is located. Facets of the bell tower are decorated with corbel arches, plastered walls – with brick decor (blind arcadings, flat and curly niches and triangular gables).
All rooms, except for the central one, have flat ceiling. But the dome area of the central hall is a wooden arch, built of wood.
Interior amazes with the abundance of icons, starting with the oldest ones and ending with images, dated by 19th century. There is a wide variety of icons of Mary, Mother of Jesus “The Presentation of the Virgin at the Temple”, “The veneration of the Virgin Mary”, “The Virgin and Child”, “Consolation of All the Afflicted”, created in 1757, “The Saints Boris and Gleb with Saint Christina”, “Saint Martyr Paraskeva” “The Resurrection”, “The Hole Great Martyr Barbara”, “St. Barbara’s life”, “Emperor Constantine”, “St. Paul the Apostle”, “The Holy Family”, also dating from the 1757 year, the “The Annunciation”, “The Visitation”, “Deisis” – these three icons were painted during the 18th century, “Prophet Elijah”, “The Holy Face”, “Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker”, “Sergius of Radonezh”, “Our Lady of Tenderness”, “The Archangel Michael”, “Usіya of the Holy”, “The Annunciation”, “The Equal to the Apostles Emperor Constantine”, “Saint George” (some of these icons of the 19th century were given to the temple of the Holy Cross by the Church, which was closed in the village of Lunin).