The Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Pinsk
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
The sight of Pinsk: the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
This is a genuine piece of history on the streets of a modern city. Pinsk managed to preserve its unique identity, even keeping pace with the times, it is through such ancient buildings, the safety and condition of which are carefully monitored by the city authorities.
The history of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Pinsk
A wooden precursor of the modern Catholic temple was the Church of the Franciscans built in 1396. It is interesting, that even nowadays the religious building has another name – the Franciscan Church. The fact is that originally it belonged to this Order, as its founder and the initiator of the construction, the Grand Duke Sigismund Kęstutaitis (who ruled over the territories of Pinsk, Turov and Starodub), in his youth was a pupil and disciple of the monk-Franciscan.
In 1510 it was decided to substitute the wooden construction for a more solid and secure stone one. The idea was put into practice by using fragments from fell into despair residential and public buildings, so it is safe to say that the modern Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary is a true fragment of Pinsk long history.
A strategically and economically advantageous position of Pinsk, as well as the proximity of the river Pina led to frequent attacks of enemies. And of course, the Catholic Church endured all the same hardships as the whole city. It is not surprisingly that by the early 18th century it already had several repair works.
A radical reconstruction took place in the period from 1712 to 1730. It was then when the Church received its habitual to every resident and guest of Pinsk appearance, notable features of which are the predominance of the Baroque style, tiles of rich brown shade of red and small signature.
Features of the architecture of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
The 20th century added to the appearance of the Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Pinsk many interesting and remarkable details.
Talking about the appearance, it is impossible to ignore a large dome appeared over the added fourth floor of the building. Forged lattices of the balcony, numerous but harmoniously looking pilasters and cornices are used as decorative elements.
Inside the temple is placed the oldest on the territory of Belarus organ, created in the 30-ies of the 19th century. The author of such a wonderful creation is the master A. Grodnitsky, and the reconstruction in 1936 was done by V. Vernadsky.
The art component of the Catholic Church is also not less remarkable. Within its walls you can see a real sample of Church art – the painting of the artist A. Romer “Madonna of Pinsk”. It is extraordinary for the fact that a prototype of the Virgin was a usual resident of Pinsk. Only a thin nimbus and a light beam tell about the “holiness” of the woman.
In the 80-ies of the last century the Church underwent another necessary renovation, funded by Kazimierz Swiatek. Later it was he who became the first Belarusian cardinal of the modern times, having been before that in the position of Metropolitan and Apostolic administrator. In the crypt of the Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Pinsk are still kept his relics.
Church of Pinsk, which is worth seeing during the excursion tour
Pinsk is a city in which, besides the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, there are other sights. No wonder it is called the pearl of Polesye! Go for excursion to Pinsk, and you will see: