The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady Mary in Miory
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
In many districts of Belarus, a catholic church has an equally significant role in the life of people as an orthodox temple. It can be attributed to historical and geographical peculiar features of the region. The existence of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady Mary is determined by both factors in Miory of Vitebsk region.
The main sight of the city of Miory is the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
Miory is a rather ancient settlement of Belarus; the first mentioning refers to 1514. However, at the time, a different name was popularly used – Myory that is translated from Finnish as “a lake in the lowland”.
The first catholic structure appeared in the territory of Miory in the XVI century. Later, in 1728, there appeared the first monastery with a church.
Of course, when the territory passed into possession of the Russian Empire, much had changed. Thus, the Monastery of Augustinian Canons was closed and destroyed in 1830 due to the events of the Polish Revolt. The same could happen with the local church but everything worked out.
The history of the creation of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Miory
The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady Mary was constructed upon the project of the architect Anthony Filipovich-Dubovik in 1907. But even such a young catholic erection could not avoid the negative consequences of the war and postwar period. For example, the church was transformed into grain storage in 1951 that affected its condition. Fortunately, it was not longstanding, and the practitioners of the catholic faith could attend the renewed church in 1956. However, for that purpose it required the second consecration that was held in next year after updating.
Features of the architectural appearance of the temple in Miory
While looking at the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady Mary, you can immediately notice the characteristics of New-Gothic style without any knowledge of architecture. The transcendental beauty of the high towers and lancet windows, the delicate “silhouette” of the church with steeples, the well-known rose-window – all these amazes with its refinement and majesty. The effect is amplified thanks to the use of red brick, so it is easy to notice the church from a distance.
The church is rather attractive not only by the exterior features but also by its inner decoration. Here you can see several interesting and rare icons, amongst which the most popular are the icons of the beginning of XIX century “Joseph and Child”, “The Mother of God of Ruzhany”, and the more recent icon “The Black Madonna of Czestochowa”.
Apart from the icons, the church is famous for the embedded in the wall original memorial tablets of the Svyatopolk-Mirsky family. Within the walls of the church, there is a wooden sculpture called “Crucifixion” that also refer to the XIX century.
Another local attraction, the Monument to the Unborn Child, appeared in the territory of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady Mary in 1997. This sorrowful but light composition has become especially popular among the church people.
It is not surprising that Miory and the above-mentioned church has become an important part of many excursions around Belarus. Besides, anyone willing can visit some other nearby places of interest. These are the chapel, the Temple of the Robe Deposition of Mother of God, and many other survived monuments of architectural and cultural heritage.
Many sightseeing tours around Belarus lead to Miory
It is not surprising that Miory and its temple became an important part of many excursions around Belarus. In addition, you can visit other interesting places nearby: