The Church of the Transfiguration of God in the village of Germanovichi
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
There were several catholic churches and chapels in the village of Germanovichi in earlier times. It was predetermined not only historically but also geographically (not far from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Polotsk Voivodeship). However, as time goes by, especially when the Soviet government came to power, the biggest part of other churches of the village and nearby area were destructed or transformed into orthodox temples. Thus, the Church of the Transfiguration of God is the only catholic structure in Germanovichi today; by the way, it is still functioning.
The history of formation
The village which is comfortably located on the bank of the Disna River, was first mentioned in the papers of 1563, but under some other name – Ermanovichi. Later on, the Belarusian language brought some changes.
The local Church of the Transfiguration of God was constructed during the period since 1770 to 1787. Remarkably, it is still mentioned as the Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary in some sources; however, the more familiar name is used on the official portal (the web-site of the Belarusian Catholic Church).
Gradually the local church attracted more and more parishioners; there were 3 thousand people in the end of the XIX century. Miraculously the church survived during the First and Second World Wars; it ceased its functioning only in 1948, when by decree of the Soviet government, there was located storage for economic purposes.
The Church of the Transfiguration of God was given back to the Catholic Church in 1988 when it began to function and also was consecrated for those purposes.
The historical and cultural value for the Republic of Belarus
The church is included into this list due not only to its history but also to the unique architectural design materialized in this monument of Vilna Baroque style.
The exterior of the church is rather modest – the influence of Classicism. It is presented in strict outlines, traditional four-tier towers at the sides of the frontage, the lack of ornate fixtures and elements (the only unusual decorative fixture is a piazza on the frontage). However, you will be amazed with the impact of Baroque style at the entry; it is reflected in massive but graceful altars.
Thanks to some guided tours around Belarus, it is possible to visit Germanovichi village and its main attractions (it’s worth seeing the survived local mansion alongside with the above-mentioned church). However, if you decide to come to the location all alone, it would be hard to miss the church rising above the village.