The Сathedral of Holy Virgin MAry in Mizherichi
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
There is an outstanding building among ordinary houses. It looks like a picture from a Hollywood film or fairytale. There are brick walls, tall arched windows of gothic style. The pointed roof has a wooden cross on its top. This wonderful neo-gothic building in a small Grodno village (the population is 200 people) is the Сathedral of Holy Mother of God. The cathedral stands apart from general architecture of Mizherichi village.
Rome-catholic parish in Mizherichi was opened in 1533
First, it was wooden. It was built in 1622. The building was financed by Voytekh Klochka. The interior was equipped by his son Matvey. The cathedral had worked for 250 years before it was closed.
The nowadays gorgeous building was constructed in 1907
Service was being provided there for 40 years and Soviet Union authorities closed it in 1946. There was a shop since that time. The church was returned to the parish in the end of the 80-s and it was rebuilt again. The architect V. A. Sroki designed the church. The building was built from brick in the north-west of the village. The cathedral has been opened for all people since that moment. The Patronal Festival is celebrated on March, 25.
The architecture of the neo-gothic church
The church consists of 3 naves (a nave in church architecture is a part of a lengthwise room that has columns at one or two sides) and towers. There is a three-tiered bell tower in the centre of the main facade. High ogival windows let light enter the building. There is a level of 8 edges that hasn’t been still built.
There are several exits. And the ceiling isn’t dome but flat.
There is the icon of Mizherichi God’s Mother.
The image has been stored for a long time. The icon was painted in the first part of the 18th century and framed in Rococo style. The Blessed Virgin and her Child were decorated with crowns. Since the beginning of the 20th century there has been arnat (dress of Rome-catholic clergy) with the image of St. Virgin Mary.