The cemetery of the First World War in the village of Ross
Sculpture, monuments, memorials
Cemeteries of died soldiers who protested their motherland are worth special attention. The people who are buried here sacrificed their lives for our free past and present.
There is a small cemetery of the First World War in Ros settlement. Before telling you about the place itself, I should tell you about Ros. It’s quite a big village with the population of 4700 people.
Ross has been known since the beginning of the 13th century. Ros bodyguard took part in the Battle of Grunwald in 1410. In the 16th century, the village grew and became a settlement, so it belonged to Volkovysk district in Novogrudok voivodeship of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and after to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Trinity Church was built there in the end of the 16th century, and Trinity Catholic Church appeared there after couple of decades.
Ross lands belonged to Russia in 1795; it was the centre of the region in 1801. The railway roads Baranovichi-Belostok were being built in 1886, so Ros became a railway station. Then it was a part of Poland and BSSR. It has been a settlement with food and building material industries since 1958.
The cemetery of the First World War
There was no such state as Belarus 100 years ago. The First World War stepped into Belarusian towns and villages with no mercy. Though it wasn’t as bloody as the Great Patriotic War but it was also quite cruel and destroying.
Our citizens had to protect their families when the Germans came to Belarus. The war lasted for more than 2 years. Thousands of soldiers are buried at 200 war cemeteries in Belarus.
Majority of war burials of the First World War are situated in Grodno region
Ross cemetery is not big. There are almost 20 burials. Gravestones don’t have names of soldiers but there some scripts on them. There are stones around graves that are destroying because of time and weather.
There are big crosses at the end of grave rows, and there are 2 smaller crosses at each its side. There is a memorial gravestone with Russian and German script in front of the central row.
However, there are no more ancestors of died soldiers, but the cemetery is looked after, there are no grass and the lawn is neatly cut.