Stone Cross in Turov

Tyrov

Sculpture, monuments, memorials

Turov is one of the popular towns in Belarus, it is located on the river Pripyat.

It is a small town with 2 795 residents, nevertheless, its history and monuments attract tourists.

According to the Primary chronicle (the Tale of Bygone Years), the first mention of Turov dates back to 980. Starting fr om the 11th century, the town was known as one of the centers of Christianity and there an ancient book was created – Turov Gospel. Old-Russian philosopher Cyril Turovsky, Saints Lawrence and Martin Turovsky lived in this town.

In 1941, Turov was captured by the Nazi invaders and was liberated on July 5th, 1944.

A stone cross is the most unusual sight and it attracts many tourists. Local residents believe that it grows a few millimeters out of the ground every year. It is 50 cm high (19.68 inches). It is located in a cemetery near Turov. In 1996, it began to appear out of the ground. This stone cross is warm even during winter. One may think that it is sacred. In order to witness this miracle and touch it, many Belarusian tourists and people from different countries come to Turov.

A monument in honor of Cyril Turovsky was constructed in 1993; its size and grandeur will surprise you. The monument is seven meters high (22.96 ft) and it is made of concrete and finished in copper. It consists of a large cross and a figure of Cyril Turovsky. May 11th is a day of Cyril Turovsky. If you are in the town on this day, you can see the Divine Liturgy - the celebration which is held in the walls of the cathedral of Turov bishops.

In Turov, a church was built in honor of All Saints. It was built in 1810 and it was never reconstructed. It survived the war with the French, the First World War, and the Great Patriotic War. There is an icon of St. Nicholas. Near the entrance to the church, there are 2 two-meter (6.56-foot) high stone crosses made in the 12th century. According to the legend, the crosses themselves sailed down the Dnieper and Pripyat from Kiev, they are sacred and protect against diseases.

The Turov meadow is a reserve, wh ere birds live which listed in the Red Data Book. Every year “Bird’s” festival is held there. Also, the reserve is the main place of sandpiper nesting. The sandpiper is not the only bird living there, besides it is possible to meet 55 species of birds.

The church, built in 1170, was the largest and most magnificent building in Ancient Rus. In the aftermath of the earthquake in 1230, the church was destroyed and its ruins were discovered in 1961. Now the foundation of the ancient church is the main object of a historical and archaeological exposition.

 

Map location

loading map...

Back to the list

Tours and excursions

  • Moscow - Minsk - Ruzhany - Kossovo - Pinsk - Motol - Turov - National Park Pripyatsky - Gomel - Moscow
  • Breakfast
  • Days: 7