Kalvariyskoe cemetery in Minsk
Kalvariyskoe cemetery is the oldest cemetery in the city of Minsk. According to official documents and papers, this cemetery has been functioning for about 170 years. However, according to private information, people have been buried here for more than six centuries.
The very name " Kalvariyskoe" cemetery came from the Latin word Calva (Martyrdom, or Golgotha). Since 1800, this churchyard was completely transferred to the property of the Franciscans, it was for this reason that at that time it was allowed to bury only the population of the Catholic faith. In the twentieth century, this cemetery was located outside the capital, but after World War II it became a full-fledged part of the metropolis.
To the belongings of this churchyard is the temple, built in the style of neo-Gothic, which was founded in 1839. However, the parishioners of this cemetery are most attracted by the most ancient monument of Kalwaria. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, a stone was erected on the place where the Amulsky sisters were buried, which is still in the same place.
Kalvariyskoye cemetery in Minsk is not without reason called the site of the burial of aristocrats, since it is here that representatives of numerous noble families are buried. Here is the grave of Moniuszek and Janushkeviches, Rimashevskys and Yagels are also buried here. It was this pogost that was the last refuge of the Gaidukevichs.
According to scientists, the Poniatowski and Radziwills are also buried directly in this pogost. I also want to note that the founder of the BRG and the BSG, V. Ivanovsky, the artist Valiha Vankovich and the famous Slavic poet Ya. Luchin, were buried here. Since the nineteenth century, it has been allowed to carry out burial of people regardless of their nationalities and denominations. For this reason, it is possible to notice burial places of servicemen who died in the Napoleonic battles, fighters of the First World War, servicemen killed during the battle of the Soviet Union with Poland. Here they found the last refuge of those who were killed because of the terror of the Bolsheviks, here the Jews and warriors of the Second World War are buried.
In the late 90's Minsk municipal council allowed to carry out commercial graves here, which in turn led to the collapse of some of the oldest chapels and burials.
To prevent this from happening again, a "Kalvariya" committee has been created to this day, which, with all its might, seeks to return the original look to the churchyard.
In 1967, the Kalvariyskoye cemetery was closed, nevertheless, in 23 years the Minsk City Executive Committee took under the state protection all the objects that are in this burial site.
It is also worth noting that 2001 was extremely important for the Kalvarii churchyard. After all, at that time, Kalwaria was given the status of a monument of the first category.
However, in the majority of Minsk residents this cemetery is associated with legends about this place. The legend speaks of a young girl who was singing here in late autumn, and then immured in a crypt. Then, in the nineteenth century, nobody knew about the so-called lethargic dream. It was for this reason that no one could have thought that that girl was alive. When she woke up, she tried to get out of the tightly packed coffin with all her might and yet her efforts were not crowned with success. This young girl was dying in terrible agony. To this day, many believe that the ghost of this girl could not find rest and still wanders among the graves.
Currently, the Kalvariyskoye cemetery engenders interest not only among the inhabitants of Belarus, but also among travelers who are fond of the history and cultural heritage of the city of Minsk.