The Grodno Regional Drama Theatre
The first plays began to be performed in Grodno since the end of the XVIII century. They were performed in a theatre, which belonged to the mayor A. Tyzengauz. It was built in the 1780s. By 1859, it was expanded due to several additional buildings. In 1940, a third floor was added. The large-scale reconstruction took place in 1975 – it allowed making the stage more spacious.
According to the article on the website Adme.ru, the Grodno Regional Drama Theater was considered to be one of the most incredible and fantastic buildings of the USSR. Such buildings as Yerevan "Hamalir", Kiev crematorium on the cemetery, buildings of Kazan and Kishinev State Circus, etc., are included in that list as well.
By 1984, according to the project of architect G. Machulsky, a new version of the brick and precast reinforced concrete construction was created. It included an auditorium with amphitheater and balcony, designed for 700 people. A cozy lobby is also remarkable due to its decoration.
In addition, there is a small auditorium designed for 216 visitors on the first floor. On the ground floor, there is a rehearsal hall, rooms for actors, a projection room, and a scene dock. Near the entrance, there is a three-figure composition called “Pegasus” made by sculptor L. Zilber.
The Construction of the Grodno Regional Drama Theatre new building
Citizens, who treat preserved cultural monuments with trembling, at first, were quite skeptical about the appearance of the futuristic building near Basilian Monastery, St. Boris and Gleb Church, two castles, and Catholic Church.
Today, those actors who started their work in the renovated building recall jokingly the days of cleanup and share reminiscences of their first rehearsals. It is necessary to note that the project had a number of shortcomings, it was cold indoors and acoustics was poor. Some rooms did not meet the actual needs of the theater; as a result, they were used for other purposes.
Peculiarities of the interior
The interior had a beneficial impact on actors and employees as well as visitors. Decorative lanterns, stairs, illuminated foyer improved mood, even in the bad weather. The whimsical combination of paintings, sculptures and architectural elements evoked thoughts about the infinity of art, as well as its grandeur.
The location of lamps creates a special visual and spatial plastique, so the interior of rooms presents a sort of “theater in theater." Busts of Moliere, Shakespeare, and Pushkin attract visitors’ attention. You can see through windows a magnificent panorama of the city.
The territory near the theater became one of the most popular recreation areas. Here you can enjoy the views of the Neman and spending time outdoors.
The image of the Grodno Drama Theatre adorns brochures and souvenirs. It is often found in media publications.