The Jewish Hospital in Minsk
Architecture, Industrial buildings
This medical institution has made a great contribution to the history of the city. It was established at the time when most services were provided by private doctors, and it has become a great step forward. Today the Jewish hospital (the clinical hospital №3) provides a wide range of quality health services to residents and guests of the capital.
The opening and functioning
The official opening of the Jewish hospital occurred on 30 September of 1828 in Gubernatorskaya St. (now Lenin St.). At the time it was the outskirts of the city where the city prison had been previously located. The initiators were Governor and the Board of Trustees consisting of 12 persons. And the funds for the maintenance and development of the hospital came fr om fees (“passing the hat”) and donations, and also from additional activities of the institution (public lectures, income from the functioning of the steam bath and from sales from the orchard).
The eclectic architecture of the buildings with decorative fixtures of Moorish style perfectly fitted the layout of the then city and now fits the modern streets.
Initially the hospital had 50 beds, four wards (for patients with acute, chronic, venereal diseases and external diseases), 15 hospice beds, an operating room and a reception ward wh ere emergency medical aid was provided. The hospital was divided on grounds of gender: on the first floor health care was provided to women, on the second - to men. At first the staff consisted of two doctors, three paramedics and several students.
The Jewish hospital owes its name to the fact that all the services were free for all Jews, regardless of gender, age and social class. However, for other nationalities the pay was low and rather symbolic.
By 1914 there were a number of changes in the structure of the hospital: there appeared a maternity hospital and a pharmacy, pavilions for patients with smallpox, a department of infectious diseases and a psych ward, general and eye clinic; there were equipped an X-ray room and a disinfection chamber. The number of beds had increased to hundreds.
Besides, young specialists were trained there. At the time such great professors as Kaminsky, Klumov, Sokolovsky, Dvorzhets, Rubashov and some others worked in the hospital.
Major changes occurred in 1922 when the Jewish hospital got the name of the First Soviet Hospital, and free services were provided to all people applied without exception.
During and after the Great Patriotic War
Today the city hospital №3 has the name of E. V. Klumov who for a long time served as the head of the hospital. Thanks to him, as well as to the courage of the institution’s staff during the underground movement the Soviet people got incomparable assistance. It is not just about providing medicines and medical care. In order to reduce the number of people sent to concentration camps, there were issued "fake" certificates, children found shelter in the hospital under the pretense of infectious diseases.
Today the Jewish hospital is one of the leading in the capital. Only high-tech equipment is used there, the staffed consists of experienced professionals; the number of departments has increased to 22. The full set of health services are provided there, ranging from primary inspections to serious surgical procedures.