Butrimovich Palace in Pinsk
Palaces, manors, castles
Pinsk city is known as the economic and commercial center of Polesye since the 10th century. Its geographical location is good enough: one of the key trade-routes of that time "fr om the Varangians to the Greeks" passed through its territory.
Butrimovich Palace, also called "the pearl of Polesye", was built in 1794. It was perfectly preserved to our times, and is located right on the main street of Pinsk.
From the history
The palace exists on the territory of Pinsk thanks to the owner of the lands Mateusz Butrimovich. He was a local gentleman and ambassador fr om Pinsk who participated in the significant Great Sejm from 1788 to 1792 years. Mateusz Butrimovich was a broad-minded man, who made an invaluable contribution to the development of arable land and reclamation of swamps. In addition, the gentleman formed Polesye industry and was responsible for the creation of Oginsky and the Dnieper-Bug Canal.
The laying of the memorial stone in honor of the visit of the Polish King Stanislaw August Poniatowski, which is considered to be the date of the palace foundation, occurred in the distant 1794. The creator of this majestic building was Vilna architect K. Shildgauz. The construction of the building was being carried out during the decade, for creation of which imported and as well local building materials were used.
Butrimovich Palace is justified called a pearl or "Pinsk Moore." It is absolutely unique blend of architectural styles, embodying the features of baroque and classicism. In its architecture occur canonical, typical features of both styles. An interesting fact is that the palace is located in the city, because in those days the residences were tend to be built among green parks and the trees. However, these are not all unusual things that can be met in the architectural monument, built at the initiative of Butrimovich. During the renovation, it was found out that the foundation of the palace was built not on solid ground, but on the quicksand, which eventually is able to move from the spot. For the stability of the foundation builders planked and piled 40 piles of sturdy oak. Thanks to this construction, the palace is proudly towered over the surrounding area, wh ere the Pina river, wh ere the city is located, overflow its banks.
The palace has one floor and a U-shaped layout, creating a strictly symmetrical composition. Due to the lateral wings, a yard is formed in front of the palace, wh ere in the old days a park was located. The palace consists of three buildings: ceremonial chambers were located in the middle building; living rooms were placed in the side one, as well as study. Down in the basement, the rooms for servants and utility rooms were located. All the rooms of the palace were located in the corridor and enfilade order: ceremonial chambers formed two parallel lines which passed through the halls and corners with a special layout of external enters to the left and right buildings.
The palace survived many owners, except for Mateusz Butrimovich. It was Skirmunt’s winter residence, once here lived and worked a famous Napoleon Orda. This amazing building burned down in 1901, but was rebuilt and restored. However, the collection was lost. Things, remained after a fire were destroyed by Kaiser's troops broken into the territory of Pinsk, after leaving of which numerous works of Napoleon Orda were lost. The palace survived the Great Patriotic War as well, after the end of which the printing house was located in the building.
The facade of Butrimovich palace, preserved best of all, faces the river Pina, here also the main entrance is located. Passing through it, guests found themselves in the spacious lobby, which led further along the corridor to elegant ballroom.
Not so long ago the palace hit its visitors with the splendor of interiors, but now they are, unfortunately, lost. In the side buildings the Wedding Palace and the ritual services office are located. To its credit they are making great effort to make the building look properly.