The Temple of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa in Bolota village

The Temple of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa in Bolota village


Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries

The first temple in Bolota village is mentioned in the written records of 1652. As the considerable part of its lands was waterlogged, it was agreed to construct it on a hill. A new wooden temple was constructed instead of the old one in 1882; it was named after St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa of Serbia. The construction was performed upon the project of the civil engineer F. Afanasyev that he had prepared in 1882.

The history of the construction of the Temple of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa

The construction appeared through the enthusiasm of common people. They raised 694 rubles for the construction of the temple in 1879. Besides, 305 rubles were taken from the Treasury; it became a considerable contribution to the construction of the sanctity. The wood and iron for a roof was given by the local farmer A. M. Gan. All works were performed by the peasant V. Garbuzov, members of his family and other local inhabitants without any physical assistance. The assistant architect Zolotaryov conducted the construction. The examination of the finished structure was held on 13 October 1885.

The architectural features of the Temple of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa


There are some features of Classicism in the composition of the building. It consists of a catholicon in the form of a cube, an onion dome crowning a steep hipped roof, a three-tier belfry and a rectangular aps with vestries at the sides. An apse is one of the main parts of temples as an altar is usually installed here. It adjoins to the catholicon but it is not so high. A vestry is used as storage for clerical vestments and different holy vessels.

The central and lateral entrances are ornamented with six- and four-pillared portals under gable roofs. The frontages are decorated with graded cornices, window casings; they also have horizontal and vertical cladding.

 The interior of the Temple of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa


The apse is distinctive for a wooden three-tier iconostasis inside the temple. The iconostasis was created in 1885 upon the project of the civil engineer A. Remer. There are icons of the XVIII-XIX centuries that present special artistic value. These are such artifacts of graphic arts as “Saint Mother Paraskeva Pyatnitsa”, “Nicholas the Wonderworker”, “The Nativity of Christ”, “Jesus Christus”, “The Mother of God Cathedral”, “Archidiaconus Stephen”, “The Saint”. Besides, there is the Gospel of 1780.

What else is known this sanctity for?


It was constantly visited by 1385 faithful people in 1888. The building has succeeded to survive even in Soviet times when lots of temples were destroyed in the neighboring villages. However, it was closed during the Second World War.

In 1963 icons, chandeliers and other holy vessels were brought into the temple from the Temple of the Equal of the Apostles Maria Magdalena that was built in 1882 as a temporary building for divine services.

The temple attracts attention due to its accurate design and its mustard coloring.

Map location

Back to the list