A wooden Church of the Intercession is situated on the territory of the village of Pinkovichi (Pinsk district, Brest region) was built in 1830. This monument of folk architecture is located in the central part of the settlement. Today visiting it is an integral part of many tour programmes of ecotouristic and cultural orientation.
Architectural features of the Church of the Intercession
One of the main elements of the original and extremely picturesque layout of the Intercession Church is a rectangular babinets. The term was usually used to describe the antechurch where women and children could be during a service. This annex also decorates two famous architectural monuments of Polotsk – St. Sophia Cathedral and the Church of the Savior Transfiguration.
Another component of the religious sights of Pinkovichi is a four-sided hipped belfry with an onion dome. This part of the temple has begun to spread in Belarusian architecture since the 11th century. Very often it is additionally used as a utility room, as well as a watchtower or a defensive tower.
The prayer hall of the Church of the Patronage of the Mother of God has an octahedral form. There is a five-sided apse with a side vestry in the building structure. This place of Christian church is a rectangular, semicircular or polyhedral protuberance of a wall which closes the space of a nave. The apse is usually used for the altar.
The central part of the construction is crowned with a faceted arch in the form of a hipped roof. It ends with a bulbous head on an octahedral drum. Each of the three entrances to the premises has a porch with two columns under a gable roof. Horizontally planked facades are cut through everywhere with raised high above the ground window openings that are decorated with platbands. This decorative element was widely used in folk wooden architecture. If at first it had been a usual board to cover a sedimentary groove, but later it became an artistic detail of the upper part of the opening, which often had a carved design.
Near the platbands one can also see small cornices, also known as dripstones. They are placed on the facade of a building directly above its windows and abut on consoles. They have become known since the 16-17th centuries in Belarusian architectural tradition and very often they feature Baroque architecture to which the Church of the Intercession can be referred.
Finally window openings are edged with angular protuberances and usual cornices.
What is interesting in the interior of the Church of the Intercession in Pinkovichi?
The interior of the temple, all the premises of which are covered with wooden closed arches in the shape of a pyramid, received an original spatial design as well. They reflected all the talent and carpentry skills of local architects. Here you can see the following icons: “The Intercession” (the 18th century), “The Last Supper” (the 19th century), and “Exaltation of the Holy Cross” (1806). Previously the building was also decorated with the Royal gates from the iconostasis of the late 17th century with 6 border scenes, which depicted the scene of the Annunciation and the images of prelate-evangelists.
There is a spring with holy water not far from the Church. A path paved with tiles leads to the main entrance.