Trinity Church in Voystom village

Trinity Church in Voystom village


Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries

Voystom is an agricultural town in the territory of Smorgon district, located in the north-western part of the country.

The settlement was firstly mentioned in 1460. Then it took the name of Ushakovo and became known as Voystom in the beginning of the next century. The village was part of the possessions of the richest Radziwill family of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania – the Voystomsky family. Later, the village repeatedly changed its owners.

Although nowadays it is a small locality with only a couple of hundred people, Voystom has few memorable places, visiting of which will not leave tourists indifferent.

One of the main objects of the agro-town is Trinity Church or the Temple of the Holy Trinity, the construction of which began in 1927. That time Voystom was part of Poland according to the Riga Peace Treaty, had signed six years earlier.

Construction of the temple was carried out over a long period of time and was completed just before World War II in 1939.

The material for the construction of the church was brick and rubble stone.

In terms of architecture, the church building is a rectangle, covered with a hipped roof. The main facade has a turret buildings arranged in two tiers. There is a cylindrical vault inside the temple. The choir and the altar have arches. In general, the church was built in the Art Nouveau style. Previously existed temple was built in the village at the expense of the prince Yan Tvardovsky in 1774. Before that there was a temple that was built on the money of Stefan Radziwill.

A Catholic Church, built in the village Voystom, is consecrated in honor of the Blessed Trinity, which occupies a central place not only in the faith of Catholics but also in other Christian churches. The dogma of the Holy Trinity is the basis of the Christian faith and says that three Persons of the Trinity – God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit –  an organic unity.

There is also a Catholic cemetery in the village Voystom, where Hodzko Ignatius is buried, who was the Belarusian and Polish writer and memoirist of the 19th century.

There is a monument of archeology one and a half kilometers to the south-west from the agro-town. It dated back to VI-VIII centuries AD. It is located next to the road to the district center and is an area of about fifty meters in diameter. The height of the hill is about five or six meters. This place is a village, which is located around “selische” (settlement), the date of origin of which is identical. “Selishche” covers an area of ​​three hectares. Ceramics, found at site, evidence that these artifacts related to the culture of IV-VII centuries.

  Today, a visiting of Voystom village, which has several interesting attractions, is included in a number of hiking trails. Tourists can get acquainted with the history of the western part of Belarus. Also visiting of Holy Trinity Church would be useful for those interested in the history of religion and architecture.

Map location

Back to the list