Trinity Church in the village of Ross

Trinity Church in the village of Ross


Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries

Ross is an urban village, located on the territory of Volkovysk district, with a population of 4, 7 thousands of people.

The village is situated on the river with the same name. There is also a railway station on Volkovysk – Mosty.

It was firstly mentioned as a settlement in 1205. Ross village has retained a number of memorable places that are truly worth visiting.

One of these objects is the Trinity Church, leading its history since the beginning of the 20th century. More precisely the new church building was built to replace the wooden one, already existed in 1569. Ross village was a town that belonged to Gregory Khodkevich at that time in the 16th century. It was a well-known representative of the orthodox family of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

According to indirect evidence, it is believed that the original church, built of wood, is located next to the estate of the previous owners not far from the road connecting Ross and Krasnoselsky. Today, the remains of an abandoned park are preserved at this place. The temple was consecrated in memory of the holy Prophet Elijah.

In 1611, after Ross owners accepted Catholicism, the Orthodox Church was dismantled and transported to Ogorodniki to its present location. In the middle of the 18th century, the church was renovated. The temple was a Uniate one for two centuries.

Founded in 1908, the new Orthodox Trinity Church was consecrated in September 1911. It is located at 15 Bolnichnaya Alley.

Klimuts Cyprian served there as a priest from 1921 to 1925, and it was canonized to the Belarusian Orthodox Church in 2011.

Architecturally, the temple was built in the retrospective Russian style. Building material is brick. The apse with five faces as well as small sacristy is adjoined to the main volume. There is also a two-tier tower here.

The outlines of the temple are square, topped with bulbous domes. There is an iconostasis made of wood having a carving inside the building.

In accordance with the preserved reports, church life of the village throughout the existence of the temple was quite calm. It didn’t suffer significant damage during the First World War. The church worked till the beginning of World War II, and there were about four thousand parishioners after its completion.

Archpriest Roman Lototsky served in the temple in the period from 1934 to 1978. He had been working in the church for 44 years. Today, his tomb is located at the village cemetery.

In addition to the Trinity Church, there is also Trinity Temple, located in the village, extant since the beginning of the 19th century. Catholic temple was erected in the classical style.

While visiting Ross, devote also your time to such religious sites, as the Catholic chapel of St. Stephen, erected in 1903 and located in the north-western part of the settlement, as well as a synagogue surviving since the end of the 19th century.



Map location

Back to the list