Slutskaya Brama in Nesvizh

During the previous centuries fortifications and other types of defensive constructions used to be an integral part of a town. Particularly it concerned the settlements situated on strategically important trade and economical routes. In the 16th century, Nesvizh was a rather big town and was very likely to be targeted by enemies. That is why its fortifications enriched the history of Belarusian architecture and have been the objects of fascination so far.

The castle and sights of Nesvizh.

The original idea was to create the system of fortifications including an earthen bank and an open ditch along the perimeter around the town. The moat was directly connected with the Usha River nearby. The fortification itself was very massive and consisted of 7 bastions, 5 entrances into a town and the same quantity of drawbridges, and the entire system of stone monasteries with adjacent constructions as well. Thus, if desired, it was possible to cut the town off completely from the world around.

One could enter Nesvizh through the gates of Brama: Slutskaya, Zamkavaya, Mirskaya, Kletskaya and Vilenskaya (according to the names of towns-directions). It is curious that through a long history of victories and losses only the first two of them have survived to this day.

The fortifications got the greatest damage in the years of Russian-Polish war; especially they suffered during the battles of 1654 and 1659. Further reconstruction and restoration costs were covered by taxpayers. Moreover the defensive structures weren’t only restored but also strengthened by the artificial pond and bastions built in most dangerous areas.

Though this fact didn’t play any important role as afterwards Nesvizh became part of the Russian Empire and there was no need for such serious «stone» protection. This is reflected in the fact that the fortifications were not kept in repair and what one can observe now only turns into reconstructed elements of Zamkavaya and Slutskaya bramas.

Unique sample of architecture of the 16th-17th centuries in Nesvizh.

That can be rightfully called Slutskaya Brama as it is the only surviving gate of that period of all the Belarusian territory. It was built according to the elements of the Baroque style that was popular back then. However, before the reconstruction in 1700, its initial version looked like a tower with a hipped roof and only later the gate was rebuilt in conformity with standards of the exquisite architectural style.

The ground floor was occupied by toll collector who gathered money from people entering the town, a sort of customs tax of that period. A separate locker room for gatekeepers was situated there too. The chapel was on the upper level.

The modern history also made a number of changes to the appearance of Slutskaya Brama. In the 1970s of the past century, serious restoration works were carried out and as a result today we can admire the construction that is practically identical with the original. The strong oak doors, the stairs leading into the chapel of the Mother of God, a balcony and many other elements of Brama are particularly popular with visitors and tourists.

The tourist object of Nesvizh, which you can see diring excursion.

Slutskaya Brama is of great interest to the guests from all over the world and is part of numerous guided tours-weekend trips with the visit to Nesvizh, active rest and kids’ tours, ecotourism. In this regard in 2007 the adjacent territory of the Brama was improved and brought back to a fit aesthetically appealing condition. 

The Nesvizhsky palace, along with Mir Castle Complex, is one of the main sights of Belarus for this reason the majority of excursion routes conducts in the World and Nesvizh. You will see the eyes greatness of Slutskaya brama, having reserved excursion: