Chelyuskintsev Park in Minsk

Chelyuskintsev Park in Minsk

Parks, squares

The city of Minsk can’t stop to amaze the citizens and tourists by its extraordinary attractiveness, unique architectural compositions and of course colorful parklands. One of these astonishing places is Chelyuskintsev Park which opened its gates in May 1932. It should be mentioned that within two years after the opening the park was known as Komarovsky Square in honor of an ancient Komarovsky forest, in the thicket of which the park was located. Interesting is the fact that up to the XVIII century these lands were owned by Radzivills. From the XVIII century up to the October Revolution of 1917 the lands belonged to the famous family of Vankovich.

The park got the present name in 1934 in honor of the members of the crew that were going on the Northern Sea Route from Murmansk to Vladivostok on the vessel called «Cheluskin». On the 13thof February 1934 the vessel was destroyed by the massive ice floes of the Chukchi Sea. Fortunately nobody of the crew got hurt, and all the members were rescued by the airmen. By the way, these pilots were the first in the Soviet Union to receive the well-deserved title of Hero of the Soviet Union.

Nowadays the area of Chelyuskintsev Park in Minsk is 78 hectares. It can host up to 12 thousand visitors. It should be also noted that there are more than 22 thousand trees and bushes in the park, some of which are rare species. 

The territory of Chelyuskintsev Park in Minsk is divided into many entertainment areas such as the attraction zone, the amusement zone for children and teens, sports and recreation zone, the zone of relaxation, as well as dance floor and playgrounds. The first roller coaster in Belarus was set up in Chelyuskintsev Park in 1974. At that time the wooden summer cinema «Rainbow» functioned on the territory of the park. It was the last wooden cinema destroyed within the reconstruction of the park in the late 1980s.

There are two monuments in the park. One of them is devoted to the victims of the 1930s repressions. In the north-eastern part there is a common grave of the Soviet soldiers killed within the Great Patriotic War. There were 10,000 of them. In 1955 a monument was erected here. It is represented by a statue of a grieving woman.

The park has been restored many times. The recent works have been completed in 2003-2010.

Chelyuskintsev Park annually attracts many tourists. This green island gives the opportunity to have rest of the dust and hustle of the big city.


Map location


Смотреть все
, Shumilino , Belarus
  • Distance to airport: 160 km

Back to the list