The Church of St. Barbara in the village of Zamostje

The Church of St. Barbara in the village of Zamostje

Zamostye

Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries

The white stone Church named after St. Barbara is situated in the village of Zamostje in Minsk region. The exact date of the construction of the temple cannot be named: some sources claim that this happened in 1620, others in 1649. The Church is built in non-traditional style for buildings of this type: it  is early Baroque and Renaissance. Recently, the Church has been included in a number of historical and cultural sites of Belarus.

The history of the construction

Despite the fact that the exact date is impossible to say, the first mention about the Church of St. Barbara goes to the seventeenth century. At that time the local gentry have identified personal funds for the construction of the first in the area of the temple. According to some historical information initially, the temple acted as a Calvinist, and closer to the middle of the XVIIth century Jesuits lived in the Church.

The interior design was associated with Jacek Hilicki – an artist, who lived in the XVIIth century. He painted the three big canvases on historical themes for the Church.

Once the Russian rulers came to power on the territory of Belarus, the Church was rededicated and given in the use of the Orthodox Church. To the Catholic diocese, the Church was returned only in the early XXth century. In Soviet times, the temple passed into the hands of the authorities, who equipped the Church under administrative needs.

After disintegration of the USSR the temple was fully returned to the Catholic Church. It was renovated, re-plastered and brought to a proper view of the area near the temple. Now here is a permanent parish for the residents of Zamostje and the nearby villages.

The architecture of the temple

Single-nave stone building, painted white – a classic example of the intertwining of Renaissance and Baroque. The building is traditionally square-shaped and not rectangular, as is customary in the neo-Gothic. Typical layout of a five-sided apse and a small tower in the narthex.

Outbuilding in front of the temple is decorated with a triangular pediment with decorative molding. The entrance to the temple is in the form of an arch. The side walls of the apse under a sloping angle adjoin the nave and on the sides they go over the sacristy. The Church is covered with a classic gable roof, characteristic of buildings of this type in our country.

Outside to the altar area there is adjacent symmetrical sacristy. The construction plan was taken from the Vilnius school of architecture, as evidenced by the absence of the towers on the roof.

The walls of the nave is decorated with fine pilasters, this song ends a profiled cornice. The Windows are high, with an arched shape with a stretch along both walls of the temple. Above the vestibule groin, here window openings bow with slightly pointed shape. The ceiling of the temple is wooden and the flat it is distinguishes the building from inside the same buildings all over Belarus.

Inside St. Barbara's Church designed in accordance with the requirements of the Catholic Church. Around you can see the faces of the saints, the appearance of the mother of God adorns the walls and altar of the temple. The statue of the virgin Mary as a symbol of Catholicism, is located right at the entrance.

Right near the Church lined the monument and the monumental slab, dedicated to the heroes who died during the war.

Map location

Back to the list