The Church of the Virgin Mary Nativity in Traby Village

In the Lithuanian chronicle of the XV century, there are data telling about the foundation of the unique Belarusian village of Traby in Grodno region. That location was founded by the Lithuanian prince Trabus. According to some records, there had already been a Catholic parish in 1410. Today there are several attractions: the Church of the Virgin Mary Nativity, a Jewish cemetery and an Orthodox temple.

At different times this land was in possession of the famous Belarusian Golshansky family, later Traby came to possession of Albrecht Gashtold. In comparison with other Belarusian villages, a wooden church functioned in Traby in the early XVI century, and there was opened a school on its basis. Since that the land passed fr om one owner to another: alternately Traby was in possession of the Lithuanian prince Sigizmund the Old, then his son Sigizmund August, the Vitebsk war leader Stanislav Pats and other prominent Belarusian personalities. The village was enormously impacted by the change of owners in the XVIII century as every owner sought to bring something new there.

The further fate of the village was predetermined with the third partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the late XVIII century. It had become part of the Russian Empire and a township center of Oshmyany County. In the early XIX century there was established a cloth manufacture where 150 people worked and also a metal-processing workshop. There was also a village training school where residents of the neighboring locations came to study. It is possible to assert freely that in the XVIII-XIX centuries, Traby was a well-developed trading place wh ere all conditions for life and education of the local people were.

It was agreed to construct a Catholic church in Traby in the early XX century. By the way, the Temple of St. Peter and Paul had already been there for over a century. As a result, in 1905, the village had got a new decoration – a brick church designed in the style of Neo-Gothic. Originally, there had been a wooden temple on the site of the church. It was destroyed by the severe fire. The modern church is more than a century old and looks like a typical structure of Neo-Gothic architecture. The building is decorated with a five-sided apse and a small transept. The building is rectangular, and two towers rise majestically above the main entry – a bright and essential feature of Neo-Gothic churches of the XIX-XX centuries.

The main part of the building is covered with a gable roof, and there are high tents above the three-slope towers. There is a distinctive feature in the composition of the building: wings of the transept are attached to the catholicon and the apse at one time. Today the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is functioning, divine services are regularly held here. You can see antiquities within the church: well-preserved icons of the XIX century that are of great value. A beautiful and small park is laid out; the countrymen and visitors of these lands like to walk here.