The Jesuit Catholic Church (Farny) in Nesvizh

The town of Nesvizh, Minsk region, is world famous for its attractions and architectural monuments. One of them is the Jesuit catholic church, or Nesvizh Catholic church of the God’s Body. It is the first monument of early baroque on the territory of the Republic of Belarus.  Here is located the largest family burial vault of the Radzivill family, which preserves the memory of their fame and power.

The history of creation of the Farny Church

The construction of the Farny Church was in 1578-1593. The building was created on the project of a famous architect J.M. Bernardoni, who arrived fr om Italy at the personal invitation of Nikolai Radziwill Sirotka. The church got its name in 1601 during the consecration. At first the Church was the property of the Jesuits, who lived in Nesvizh, and at that time it became a burial vault of the Radzivill family. After 1773, when the Jesuit order was abolished, the Church became the main Catholic Church in the Parish.

The Jesuit Church became famous all over Europe not only for its architecture but also for the fine art of the 18th century. The Church was painted after its restructuring in 1750-1753. Unique fresco paintings reflected the idea of the Eucharist, one of the most important monumental ideas of the Christian Church. Most of the compositions were performed on patterns of engravings of the famous Dutch painter P.Rubens.

The architecture and distinguishing features of the sight of Nesvizh

The main facade of the Farny Church in Nesvizh has two levels; the emphasis is on the vertical and horizontal separation.  The vertical separation is made by pilasters, and the horizontal is made by developed wide eaves. The upper level is characterized by curved shapes that are the distinguished features of the Baroque, as well as an abundance of pilaster sides, complex profiles and various niches, decorated with sculptures.

The dome and vaults of the temple are adorned with amazing biblical compositions and figures of Saints. The illusory architecture coupled with a brilliantly executed painting has a wonderful panoramic effect and demonstrates the entire range of possibilities of the art of the 18th century. In the Jesuit Church there is a real working organ. The founders of the church, Radziwill Sirotka  and two his sons, were immortalized with the sculptural headstones.

In the underground part of the Church of the God’s Body the burial vault of the Radzivills is located.  There are 71 sarcophagi in it as well as a number of burials in niches. The last burial here was made in 2000. The urn with the ashes of Anthony Radziwill, who died in London in 1999, was taken to the family burial vault according to his will. Near the Church there is a bell tower, which is equipped in the tower of the Castle gate. Once this ancient building stood on the road fr om the town to the residence of the castle.

A memorable place of Belarus which is worth to see 

The Catholic church of the God’s Body as an architectural monument is of great cultural historical value.  The Church is world famous and a memorial sign of the UNESCO established here in April 2007 is a proof of this. Tourists from all over the world visit the Farny Church because it leaves incredible impressions and remains in memory for a lifetime.

And you can see its inexpressible beauty, having joined any of our modular bus excursions across Belarus which program includes visiting of Nesvizh: