Bernardine Church in Budslav
Bernardine Church in Budslav
Churches, katolik churches, сathedral, monasteries
The village of Budslav is a pilgrimage mecca of Belarus
Every year a great number of believers fr om different parts of the world come to a small village called Budslav on 2 July. They come in order to incline to the miraculous image of Our Lady of Budslav and visit the shrines of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
History of the construction of the Bernardine church in Budslav
The history of this church goes back to 1504 when Slavic Tsar Alexander the Great gave a part of the forest near the river Sverech to Vilna recluse-Bernardine. Those recluses began to settle in the area. A lodge was as the residential zone of the monks, the so-called Buda (from bel. "Budan", "hut"). In the same year a wooden chapel in honor of Mary’s Visiting of Elizabeth was built there. That was when those lands were known as holy places, located there, and the village was called as the Nice Buda, and later - Budslav. The temple was appreciated by believers through marvels, which happened more than once in the shrine.
In 1588, a landmark event happened in Budslav, which also named it one of the most revered shrines in the Republic of Belarus. That marvel was outlined by Bernardine historian Tomash Dygon, dozens of faithful parishioners confirmed the origin too. "After the morning worship worshipers saw in the sky a cloud that was pouring a bright light on a hermitage and chapel. The Blessed Virgin Mary with Child in her arms, appeared in the cloud "- the chronicler describes the appearance of Our Lady in that way. Next, the congregation heard those vows: "From that time the glory of our God and my Son and my protection will be given to you forever." In 1591, the church was consecrated in the name of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The shrine had become most famous among many Orthodox, thus the number of parishioners substantially increased. Therefore, a new church was built for them with the larger territory than it had been before.
In 1783, the church was consecrated in honor of the Assumption of the Mother of God. A former building was converted in the chapel of the Blessed Barbara, wh ere the antique altar is located to this day.
Architectural features of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Budslav
The temple was built in the late Baroque style. The facade is richly decorated with half-columns, a very original layout is inside the temple: the nave is lengthened, the location of the transept is considered to be original for the buildings of this type, which is located near the entrance, the altar is located in the back of the nave and there is no apse at all.
The temple has an ancient organ of the XVIIIth century, which was carried out in the manner of the Rococo, with the amazing beauty of wooden carvings, sprinkled with gold leaf.
There is a sacred image of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Budslav temple, which is considered miraculous.
This holy image was gifted to Jan Patsu, public activist of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, by Pope in the VIIIth century. After the death of J. Pats the holy image ended up in the possession of his subject, presviter Isaac Solok. In 1693 the icon was presented to him in the temple of Budslav.
During the Second World War the front line passed three times right through Budslav, but a shell had never got into the sanctuary.
Pilgrimage to Budslav: take a trip around Belarus
Every year, the celebration of the Mother of God of Budslav takes place in early July in the church. This shrine gathers believers from various parts of the world, who accomplish a pilgrimage to Budslav, to drop to the miraculous shrine. Bernardine Church in Budslav is named as a monument of architecture of the republican significance and also has entered into the list of the seven wonders of the Republic of Belarus.
If you have not yet seen this sight of Belarus with your own eyes, pay attention to the fascinating excursion tour "World of Belarusian townships". It will show you the world of Belarusian outback, show that even in the smallest villages and agro-towns there is something to see. The excursion program includes:
Mosar and its church of St. Anne - a monument of the classicism of the XVIII century.