Tolochin is part of the trade route "from the Varangians to the Greeks" and the residence of the Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Tolochin is one of the few Belarusian cities, parts of which simultaneously belonged to two different states. And it happened in 1772, when the first division of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth took place. Tolochin was divided along the river Drut ': the east of the city went to the domain of the Russian Empire, and the west became part of Poland.
Historical sketch of Tolochin
This Belarusian town in the Vitebsk region was first mentioned in the chronicles in 1433. Then it was the territory of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The story tells that during the existence of the city, its owners were many representatives of the princely dynasties: Drutsk, Tolochin, Gornostay, Sangushki and Shemet. The beginning of the 17th century was especially significant for the city, since from that time Tolokin's master became Lev Sapega.
The diplomat, politician and chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Sapieha transformed the city like no other: ordered to build a church in 1604, founded a school and a hospital for the poor. In addition, Lev Ivanovich laid his residence in the city.
After receiving the Magdeburg law in 1634, in Tolochin built the town hall in the center of the city.
A few interesting historical facts about Tolochin
In 2015, Tolochin greeted the guests at the annual regional festival of honoring agricultural workers and harvested the "Dazhinki". Of course, this event as well as possible influenced the state of city streets and parks: Tolochin, undoubtedly, significantly changed.
If you are going to visit this small town in the Vitebsk region, then you will find a lot of local attractions. One of them is a complex of the Basilian monastery, dating from the 17th century. This includes a monastery at the Holy Protection Church, which was erected by order of Lev Sapieha. The Cathedral Church, consecrated in the late 18th century, is considered the embodiment of the Vilno Baroque. Not far from the temple, there was a residential building for monks.
However, in 1804 the monastery was liquidated and the church-parish schools were built instead. During the following centuries, religious buildings were transferred to the possessions of the Orsha Holy Assumption Monastery, then to the military commissariat and extra-departmental security. And only in 2004 the monastery was revived and attached to the Tolochin regional executive committee.
In addition to these buildings, in honor of the victory of Russia in the war of 1812, the Catholic Church of St. Anthony was preserved in Tolochin. Tourists will be able to visit this ancient structure.
Brick houses, built several centuries ago, are very few in Tolochin. This is due to the fact that it was customary to build wooden structures, and during the devastating wars it was very easy to destroy them. However, those brick houses, which are still preserved, can not but represent artistic and historical value.
In the city, tourists are interested for natural monuments: Ratsavo Park and Jozefpolie.