Lyntupy is an urban settlement with a population of approximately 1,600 people. Motorways Р95 and P110 pass through the village. There was a railway line in neighboring Lithuania, but now this connection is closed, Lyntupy became a dead-end station.
The village derives its name from the river Lyntupka, which the last received from the merger of the Finnish and Baltic roots. The bird river, that's what lies under non-Slavic sounding of the word “Lyntupy”.
The Biography of the Settlement.
The first mention in the historical documents was in 1450, when the Governor Dovgirdovich had built a wooden Church of St. Andrew. But it is believed that people lived here long before this event, even in the 10th century. This is evidenced by the results of the excavations of numerous burial mounds. The tribes clung to the pagan beliefs, on the clusters of boulders cults were sent, sacrifices were legends and gradually became legends themselves. Stone-grandad, Stone-well are almost proper names of pagan boulders.
In the mid-16th century the settlement belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, in the late 18th century it moved along with the nearby territories under the jurisdiction of the Russian Empire, in 1939 it got to BSSR, and then entered the territory of the Republic of Belarus.
It has a long story, so there is a long list of owners: Buchinsky, Ostrovsky and Gilzen. The last family who owned it until 1939 were Bishevsky. Jozef Bishevsky built a beautiful manor-park complex, which is now causing the admiration of even the discerning visitors.
During the Great Patriotic war the village was occupied and was ruled by invaders until the 9th of July of 1944. Sorrowful sights relate to this period. These are the monuments at the place of execution of Jews from the Nazis’ ghettos in Lyntupy.
Learn more about the attractions.
The history knows how to hide its secrets, some achievements are erased from the face of the earth irreparably, but there are true gems, the beauty and the value of which the merciless time cannot hide.
This undeniable value is the Church of St. Andrew (built in 1908-1914 instead of a smaller wooden building). Now it is a working catholic church, each line of which corresponds to its exalted purpose, connoisseurs admire the originality of the neo-baroque architecture canons inherent in the design of the building along with the stone wall of the Church which is also historically valuable.
Bishevsky manor is an interesting house, almost a palace, built by famous architect Tadeusz Rostworowsky. The construction of the estate is covered with romance. Jozef Bishevsky lovingly raised it for the capricious and demanding French actress giving a special meaning to the interior of each room: all the rooms were different in stylistic decisions. The preserved tiles, moldings are striking by their sophistication.
The house was the center of the park composition. Talking about the park one should realize that except for the plants there is also a system of ponds (4 ponds). From some angles, they seem to surround the building. The park has not only the landscape character in some spots, but there were also created amazing landscape pictures. The authors of the project played enough with perspective, symmetry, axes and alleys, creating the individual elements of the single composition. The Pseudo-Gothic building of the smokehouse, the pavilion, the arch bridge and the great stairs fit perfectly there.
But the owner failed to win the heart of that treacherous beauty and in despair almost didn't use rooms of the private manor-house and the circumstances forced him to escape in 1939, bringing to life another legend of hidden treasures.
Legends and harmony, historical and aesthetic delights permeated the atmosphere of the Belarusian urban settlement, therefore the settlement itself attracts and keeps the attention of curious observers.