The Town of Dubrovno
Dubrovno is a town in Vitebsk region, where time runs in a special manner. The rhythm is set not only by the majestic river Dnieper, dividing the town into two parts, but also a mystical ticking of the arrows from the distant past. Dubrovno was a town of watch.
The Gateway to the East and Oak Leaves
In 2014, Dubrovno district center celebrated its 500th anniversary. Formally, the founding date of the city was 1514, when Dubrovno was first mentioned in the historical chronicles (the request of citizens to serve the Prince of Moscow Vasily). But it is clear that the history of Dubrovno is deeper. For example, Dmitry Semenovich already mentions the town in his reading and writing of 1393 as "empty Dubrovno land" (and, according to some reports, in 1993 Dubrovno already celebrated its 600th anniversary). The history ignores the specific name of the Dubrovno founder. But it is clear that the city at the Dnieper was laid on the site of dense oak forests. Hence the name takes place. Oak is a sacred tree of the slavs and a favorite tree of the pagan god Perun – it became a symbol of Dubrovno. In its history the town of Dubrovno often played the role of "the Eastern gate" of the state to which it belonged (Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth). It performs this function and it is now a part of independent Belarus. It is therefore logical that the emblem of the city consists of the silver gate and golden oak branches that symbolize the impregnable power and strength of the town.
Local watch and Potemkin
And look at the watch again. In 1775 one of the first watch producing factory of the Russian Empire was opened in Dubrovno. The owner was Prince Grigoriy Potemkin (he owned the whole town at that time). The famous Swedish watchmaker, Peter Nordshtein was the manager and the brain center invited by Potemkin in Dubrovno for big money. So in some respects Dubrovno watches were even better than the Swiss one! And they were considered to be the best in Russia. The factory produced 10 poket watches per month. Alas, after the death of Potemkin the manufactory moved to Moscow. Till now brick walls are the only thing that has been preserved from the factory. And of course, mysterious ticking of Dubrovno watch in the dark. Don't believe? Just listen... By the way Potemkin also founded a gimped factory, which eventually grew into the famous "Dnieprovskiy factory". And if you're already in Dubrovno, be sure to buy some linen. Dubrovno's flax plant is famous for the quality of its cloth.
Dubrovno is a town of heroes and philosophers
Dubrovno's land has given the world many famous personalities. From this land came the French philosopher Osip Lurie, Europe's first woman philosopher Anna-Esther Tumarkina, hero of the Russo-Turkish war Alexander Kazarsky, Belarusian playwright Alexei Dudarev ("White dew"), world champion in athletics sisters Turvy and many others.
7 Wonders of Dubrovno
You have realized that Dubrovno is a wonderful town. But we have not mentioned anything about the meteorites that fall nearby, about Napoleon's treasure, which is probably buried here under one of the oaks and waiting for its hour. However, residents of the town by a vote recently chose Dubrovno "miracles" that are made to attract tourists.
The Bernardine monastery (1630). According to the legend, the monks in one of the black Dubrovno evenings wedded the Prince's daughter with the usual nobleman, then for that reason the father of the bride Prince Lubomirski set a wooden monastery on fire. In 1809 there appeared a stone building. So Xaveriy Lubomirski have made amends before the Bernardine.
Holy Trinity Church (XIX century). A monument of architecture. The Church was built in the classical style.
The festival of songs and dances "Dnieper voices." It was first held in 1993 and brought together participants from 7 countries.
The river Dnieper. Dubrovno coasts are so beautiful that there can be organized a mass meditation...
Kireevskaya grove, which is situated on the banks of the Dnieper with the legendary source, which is rich with iron and sulphur.
17-foot oak that is located near the village of Vezhki not far from the city center. In diameter it is 7.5 meters!
The memorial complex "Rylenki", which is considered to be a tourist brand of Dubrovno region.