Osipovichi is a town in Mogilev region located on the river Sinyaya, a tributary of the Dnieper. The town is very picturesque and attracts a lot of tourists every year. The population of the town is 32 thousand people.
Once at a station of the Libavo-Romensky railway there was built a small town, which over time began to become covered with buildings and houses. So the town was founded. The first records of the town go back to 1872. There is a legend about the origin of the town name according to which the powerful man Osip served in the armed force of the local Prince. He was famous for his honesty and bravery. In his old age he received a piece of land for his faithful service to the Prince, this land became known as “osipovichi”. Due to its good geographical location the town was developing quickly: there was organized manufacture and factories were built. Railway tracks divide the town into two parts.
The Great Patriotic War did not pass by the town. The greatest diversion was made in Osipovichi: the partisan Krylovich having installed a magnetic mine destroyed four echelons of German military equipment. In the Soviet years a lot military objects and military equipment were located in the town. Nowadays all these buildings and installations are empty and tourists have no access to them. In honor of these terrible events, in the memory of the dead people in Osipovichi there was built a memorial, including a monument and a few samples of military equipment. During the occupation more than 3 thousand houses were destroyed here and still more people were killed.
The trademark of the town is a railway station which is a whole complex. It was built in the late 19th and the early 20th century. The building of the railway station, water tower, office and administrative buildings have been preserved to nowadays.
In the town there is its zest, a steam locomotive as a monument. It was built in the second part of the 20th century and became the town’s symbol.
A monument of wooden architecture is the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Originally it was built in 1826 in the village of Zamoshie and in 1949 it was taken into Osipovichi.
In 2000 the Church of the Presentation of the Mother of God was built in the town. It is not a monument of architecture but it gives the town a special beauty.
As in any other city there is a local history museum in Osipovichi. It keeps not only the history of the town. The Museum staff often creates expositions on various themes, thus attracting the attention of not only tourists but also local residents.
As Osipovichi is considered to be a town of railway men, it became a tradition to celebrate the professional holiday on August 4. That is why any tourist and guest can come and enjoy the festive atmosphere.
All comers will see not only architectural monuments in the town, but also feel a great feeling of calm, comfort and harmony.