Belinichi

Belynichi Townshipin the Mogilev Region

Belynichi is 36 km from the regional center Mogilev. It is situated near the Minsk-Mogilev M4 highway and located on the picturesque bank of the river Drut. More than 10 thousand inhabitants live there.

Ancient, Medieval and Modern History

Human settlements existed on this land even in the Mesolithic period. The tribes of Dregovichi settled on these lands. During feudal fragmentation in Europe, dukes fought with each other for lands. The settlement was part of the Principality of Polotsk and part of the Principality of Drutsk.

Belynichi, as a village, is known since 1577. The former name is Belogorodok. There are many versions why Belynichi is called that way.

Whether the settlement was founded in the XI century by Belyna or in the XIII century an icon of the Mother of God shone this place at night (Belynichi - "white nights"). In any case, the Holy Mother of God and Baby are depicted in a new emblem of the village.

Lev Sapieha, one of the owners, made Belynichi a religious center. A Carmelite monastery was built in the village. There were even a printing press and engraving workshop.

During the wars between Russia and Poland, Belynichi belonged to different owners until it was part of the Rzech Pospolita. Then the settlement belonged to the Russian Empire in the XVIII century.

During the war with Napoleon, guerrilla groups of Denis Davydov drove the French troops out territory.

Fires occurred and destroyed almost all the buildings. The Catholic buildings belonged to the Orthodox Church.

In 1941, Belynichi was occupied by the Nazi invaders. From the first months of the war, guerrillas and underground members resisted the German onslaught. The defeat of the German garrison in Belynichi in 1943 is the most significant outcome of their fight.

3315 people were killed in the Belynichi district during the war. Many people from these lands joint guerrilla groups and fought bravely.

Belynichi in Art, Culture, Religion

It is important to note that the famous Belarusian-Polish artist Napoleon Orda depicted the majestic Catholic monastery in one of his paintings. The monastery was not restored. But there is an Orthodox church dedicated to the icon of the Mother of God.

Descendants remember another Belarusian artist Witold Kaetanovich Belynitski-Birulya. His paintings are known far abroad. They are shown in the best halls of the largest museums of the world.

While walking in the modern cozy settlement, it is difficult to suggest that its past is so dramatic. However, its sights will impress everyone. 

Map location

loading map...

Back to the list