This is a regional center with the brightest history. The city has accumulated cultural and spiritual values for centuries. We will take a closer look at Nesvizh!
The history first mentioned Nesvizh in the 15th century. Then it was only a small parish center. In 1492, it became the property of the rich Lithuanian Kishek family, which allied with the more noble Lithuanians in 1513; they were the Radziwill family, who held the status and welfare of Nesvizh, growing rapidly.
Thanks to Nicholas Radziwill Black, the Radziwills were assigned the title of "Prince of the Holy Roman Empire" in 1547. By that time, Nesvizh, already renowned residence of the family, received the status of coordination in 1586. It meant that Nesvizh was fully inherited fr om one owner to another, fr om the father to the eldest son.
He was the one who, as the eldest son and the heir of Nicholas Radziwill Black, took over the management. At his prompting Nesvizh literally bloomed in the 16th century:
Belarusian book was first published in Nesvizh. It became possible when the printing house had been opened in the city. Symon Budny and Vasiliy Tyapinsky printed their works there.
The 16-17th centuries in Nesvizh were associated with development of knowledge and discoveries. Ancient languages, theology and science were popular there. The first stationery theater in Belarus was run. The first newspaper of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania "Naviny zhalostlіvye a zhalostliviye..." was published in 1563. It was Nesvizh that was proud of Europe's largest ballet theater in the 18th century.
Yakub Kolas studied at Nesvizh Teacher's seminary. He wrote a lot of poems and humorous stories there.
It has been added to the UNESCO World Heritage Site as a museum-reserve of the day. Nesvizh Castle, the "heart" of the city, was built by order of Nicholas Radziwill “the Orphan” in 1583. One hundred years later, it sustained two enemy assaults during the Russian-Polish war. It became a target as a property of magnates, supporting Augustus I, for the troops of Charles 12.
During the war with Napoleon, the owner of the Castle, Dominik Radziwill, was on the side of the French army and left the city forever. All wealth of the family was taken fr om the residence. All the possessions of the prominent family were confiscated in 1813. The castle was returned to the Radziwills and was growing in the 60s – a complex was built of the Castle, the Old, the New, an English park and the Japanese Garden. As a result, the territory increased to 90 hectares by 1939.
Great Northern War got up to Nesvizh in 1706, the Swedish army plundered it completely. It took half a century, and the city was occupied by Russian troops. After the second partition of Poland, it went to the Russian Empire as well as a significant part of the current territory of Belarus. It returned to Poland in the 20s of the 20th century. In 1939 it became a part of the newly created BSSR. 1941 - 1944 - it was occupied by the German army.
The city of Nesvizh in Belarus has much to show: earlier it was the seat of the Radziwills. It has many monuments of architecture and history. There is Town Hall with merchants' rows, there was once a Benedictine monastery in the present building of the pedagogical college. And wh ere the cinema now stands, once housed the Dominican monastery - the one that was transformed into the seminary and wh ere Yakub Kolas studied.
Nesvizh also has earlier sights. A striking example - Slutskaya Brama - baroque gates of the late XVII century. The famous Jesuit Catholic Church (Farny) - the first temple of the Jesuits in the territory of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, to which Nesvizh once belonged.
Undoubtedly, the most beautiful place of the city is the palace. Now it is a museum located on the territory of the reserve. Today it is not only the heritage of Belarus, but the whole world: the castle of Nesvizh is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The park deserves even better attention: it is divided into several sectors according to the stylistic principle and full of beautiful sculptures and monuments.