Molodechno

Molodechno

MOLODECHNO. THE CITY WHERE STAYED NAPOLEON

The regional center is located in the Minsk region, 73 kilometers from the capital. Molodechno approaches to 100 thousand of inhabitants, but now it is a home to almost 95 thousand of people.

THE HISTORY OF MOLODECHNO

Throughout the 15th century, when the present territory of Belarus was a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Molodechno was included in the magnates’ ownership. Perhaps the most famous of them is Ahinsky. That time the castle was built in the city. The fire partially had been destroying it three times in 10 years. The castle stopped its existence in the 18th century.

In 1812 here, on the land of Molodechno, walked the most famous military leader of France - Napoleon Bonaparte.

The city passed through the uprisings that took place here in the 19th century: in 1831 the students of one of the colleges supported Molodechno rebels.

The riot ended up quite deplorable for the college and its teachers: educational activity was ceased, teachers found themselves in prison. In 1863 rebel groups deployed round the city. Even though one year later, the teachers' seminary was founded and it was soon declared to be the center of public education of western region. There were a theater, a library, a museum and a weather station.

In the 70s of the 19th century Libau–Romny Railway was built and that’s why Molodechno became a railway junction. Perhaps this increased the status of the city and created conditions favorable for the city’s certain autonomy: in 1925 of the 20th century it was called a separate powiat within the Wilno Voivodship and in 1929 the town was granted with city rights. Together with a new "rank" city received additional lands.

FASCIST OCCUPATION

In 1941 on the 26 of June Molodechno was occupied. And though the enemies had been there for 3 years, the city itself was not damaged, which can't be said for civilians.

The German set up there a camp for prisoners, from which about 33 thousand of people didn’t return. The liberation of Molodechno occurred on the 5th of July in 1944, together with the soldiers of the 3rd Belorussian Front, under the command of General Chernyakhovsky. The same year Molodechno received the city status of regional importance. It had been the center of the region until 1960, and then again became a district town as a part of Minsk region.

MOLODECHNO THESE DAYS

The companies of the district center are engaged in engineering and machining, wood and metal processing, light industry and nutrition, perfumes and ceramics release.

From Molodechno by train you can get to Lida, Grodno, Vitebsk and Polotsk, the capital of Belarus, Russia, Latvia and Lithuania, St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad. The roads of national importance pass through the city.

WORTH VISITING PLACES IN MOLODECHNO:

  • Ancient settlement related to 15-17 centuries
  • The memorial complex on the place of the former Stalag 342 camp for the Soviet prisoners of war
  • Molodechno Arc de Triomphe, erected in 1920, 20th century
  •  Ahinsky Palace, 18th century

Map location


Back to the list