A town with an interesting name of Maryina Gorka is located 63 km south-east of Minsk, a few kilometers from the geographical center of our republic. The town located on the river Titovka, is known primarily thanks to the estate of the Makovs that was built in 1760-1770.
There are a lot of legends about the name of the town. The most plausible of them is the version that tells about a priest who passed by a pagan altar and sprinkled it with water. A heathen temple sank into the ground and it was a sign for the priest, that’s why he decided to build here the Church of The Virgin Mary. As it stood on a hill so the place, where appeared the town, got the name Maryina Gorka.
Some Pages in the History
The first mention of Maryina Gorka is dated to the 16th century, but the first people settled in these territories in the 9th millennium BC. During its rather long period of existence Maryina Gorka passed from hand to hand. It belonged to the famous families of the Radziwills, Buzhinskys, Rotynskis, Krupskis, etc. But the main attraction of the town is associated with the name of the Minister of the internal affairs Lev Makov who owned a well-preserved estate of the second half of the 19th century, an excellent example of eclectic architecture of those times. It is remarkable not only for its safety, but for the fact that here was located the House of creativity of writers of Belarus in 1935-1941. Yanka Kupala and Yakub Kolas were living and creating their masterpieces in the estate, moreover here were working Kuzma Chorny, Zmitrok Biadula and many others.
Like most Belarusian territories Maryina Gorka was a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, then a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and after the second division it became a part of the Russian Empire.
A significant leap in the development of the town occurred in 1873 when the libavo-Romensky railway was built through Pukhovichi lands and there appeared a railway station "Pukhovichi". The township had been growing when in 1894 there appeared a glass work. In 1925 the district center moved from Pukhovichi to Maryina Gorka.
Six days after the beginning of the Great Patriotic war, the village was in occupation. In the district center there was located a three-thousand garrison of the army groups "Center" and two military schools with 800 soldiers. Cruel occupation conditions served as an impetus to expand underground and guerilla movements. In Maryina Gorka there were several guerilla detachments and an underground newspaper “The Guerilla of Belarus” was published. In 1943 there was formed a brigade “The flame” which was actively involved in the Rail war. In total 5919 people lost their lives in fighting against the invaders and the town still keeps the memory of its heroes, commemorating their feats in monuments and obelisks.
Maryina Gorka became a town only in 1955 and only forty-five years later, in 2000, it received its own coat of arms, the image of the Virgin Mary in a red and blue dress with a white cloth in her hands.