Historical value and popularity of the town of Berezino is firstly connected with its location. Being located on the banks of the river Berezina, which used to be navigable in earlier time, the town is favorably situated on one of the major routes from Europe to the Black sea, also known as the route "from the Varagians (the Normans) to the Greeks". This is the fact that the first mention of Berezino as a trading and transshipment point was linked with in the annals of 1501. At that time it was a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, particularly Lubenskoe eldership (a territorial unit equal to a modern district).
Different owners, different times
From the outset, the rapid development of Berezino had quite serious preconditions. So, in the XVI century it passed into the possession of the Sapieha family. The Prince Leo Sapieha had special influence on the outlook of the town. It was him who initiated the building of the Church of Virgin Mary assumption in 1641.
Like many other areas of today’s Belarus, a modern look and culture of Berezino was dramatically influenced by wars, territorial vicissitudes and other political conflicts. So, for some time (during the war of Poland and Russia), the city was occupied by Russian troops. Then Berezino passed into possession of another powerful family of that time, the Tyszkiewiczes, who have already owned several large estates in Lithuania.
However, the town belonged to the Tyszkiewiczes for a relatively short period of time. 122 years later the town of Beresino, together with its adjacent areas was transferred to the Russian Empire for accession as a result of another partition of Poland.
It is still unknown what was the role of the Potockies noble family, who appeared in the lands of Berezino soon after they had been included into the Russian Empire. However, they organized the construction of the most significant structures.
One of the Potockies is related to the historical and cultural values of the Republic of Belarus, though it is in ruins at the moment. Initially that fine house, being built in the style of late classicism, was situated on a steep bank of river Berezina. It used to be the residence of the Earl and his family. Later, from 1917 to 1980, the building, a bit modified, though, served as a school. Today the estate is put up for auction with the right of a 50-year lease.
There are also some signs of the garden which used to be located on the right bank of the river. Unfortunately, today it has fallen into decline, but the remains of its former greatness can still be seen.
Another achievement of Potocki is truly unique. In 1892 he founded the base for local distilleries. The style belongs to industrial eclecticism, and it is so distinctive that all the important elements of architecture were saved even during the restoration of the buildings. The building of the distillery still exists and functions in the town and can certainly be considered one of the most beautiful industrial buildings in Belarus.
In addition to the historical sights mentioned above, there are numerous cemeteries, and burial mounds on the territory of Berezino.
The recent historic event in the town life was the adoption of a new emblem and flag. The Coat of arms "The fox", which is the generic coat of arms of the Sapieha family, is quite curious: the fox, depicted in the upper part of Spanish shield, is looking to the right and holding the Golden arrow with crossed beams. At the bottom of the shield we can see three silver oak leaves turned upside down with two acorns. This coat of arms was approved in 2007.