General information about Skidel.
Skidel is a satellite city of Grodno, which became in 2014. It is located in the western part of Belarus only 25 km east of the regional center and is part of the Grodno region.
The population of the city is 10.5 thousand inhabitants.
The name Skidel received from the river, which is located - Skidlyanka. The name of the river has the Baltic roots.
The city of Skidel was relatively recently - in 1974.
Through Skidel there are automobile roads that connect the city with the regional center and the capital of Belarus. There is also a trail to Slonim and Mosty.
There is a railway station in the city.
City `s history.
For the first time the city is mentioned in 1501. Then he was a member of the Grodno Povta ON.
In 1588 a royal court appeared here, and three decades later Skidel was the possession of the Radzivil family. At this time, fairs are being held here, breweries are opening, tanneries are being set up.
In 1795 the city found itself in the Russian Empire. During the 1920s and 1930s, Skidel moved to Poland. Since 1939, the city has moved to the BSSR, becoming a center of the district in a year. During the Great Patriotic War, a ghetto was created in Skidel, which existed here until the beginning of the spring of 1943. Today, this place is a memorial stone-boulder.
Coat of arms of the city.
His coat of arms Skidel acquired in 2007. On the emblem of the city we see an image of two towers - the manor house of Antonovich-Chetvertinsky, under which is depicted a hunting horn.
Sights of Skidel.
The city has preserved several objects worthy of attention of residents and visitors of the city. Among them is the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, erected in 1870 and is part of the estate complex Antonovich-Chetvertinsky.
The estate itself appeared in Skidel in the middle of the XIX century, its central object - a two-storey manor house with 4 Byzantine columns, has not survived to this day. However, today you can see other objects that have survived to our time. Among them there are a park, a water mill, a brama, as well as residential and outbuildings.
Another attraction of the village is the railway station, whose building was built in the early twentieth century. From the beginning of the century to the present, one more city building has survived - the yeshiva - the Jewish religious educational institution. Today the building is empty, also used by a local factory.
Among the city attractions of later time one can name the church of the Holy Quadric Craftsman, erected at the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries. The temple is located in a building previously used as a store.
There are other religious objects in the city - the church of St. Michael the Archangel and the church of the Holy New Martyrs and confessors of the Belarusian land.
Preserved in Skidel and traces of the ancient Tatar cemetery.
The sights of modern Skidel include the sugar factory, thanks to which the city got the glory of the "sweetest" Belarusian city. By the way, the enterprise produces not only sugar, but also citric acid.