Zheludok is an urban-type settlement in Grodno region. 1017 inhabitants live in this settlement. The name of Zheludok (the name means a small acorn in Russian language) derives from the Zheludyanka river – the right tributary of the Neman. Banks of the Zheludyanka were strewn with oak acorns.
The first mention of Zheludok dates back to the end of the 14th century. In 1490, the grand Duke of Lithuania Casimir built the first church in Zheludok, which was made of wood. By 1690, there were 226 houses. The settlement of Zheludok belonged to many owners at different times. It caused slow growth and development of the settlement.
In the 18th century, Zheludok belonged to the Tyzenhaus family who owned this settlement about two hundred years. In 1854, on the territory of the estate a beautiful stone church was built in late Classicism. It was reconstructed and preserved today. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary church is a significant sight of Zheludok.
In the beginning of the 20th century, Duke Ludwig (son of Vladimir Svyatopolk-Chetvertinsky) decided to build a gorgeous palace. The main architect of the Svyatopolk-Chetvertinsky family estate was the Polish-Italian professional Vladislav Marconi. The architect blended different styles. The palace was built in the Neo-Baroque style; the outbuilding looked like a small castle of the Middle Ages with modern elements. A neo-Gothic chapel, mill, smithy, stable, barn and tavern became a perfect complement.
The palace is a two-story mansion with many windows and a large original door. When you open the door, you will see a darkened hallway and bright hall with a huge central staircase. It seems that the balustrade of this staircase remembers everyone who touched it. There is an additional staircase in every wing of the building. There are rooms with high ceilings and huge double doors of those times. Corridors are empty now, but the entire building filled with history.
All buildings in the estate are connected by the French park, which includes ancient trees and bushes. The pathway between the trees is paved with stone blocks. In 2014, the Svyatopolk-Chetvertinsky estate became private property.
Anyone who once visited the settlement of Zheludok will always remember the splendor of the Svyatopolk-Chetvertinsky estate and the beauty of its French park.