The urban-type settlement of Lubcha is located in Novogrudok district of Grodno region. It is not far from famous sights of the district center, only 26 km, and 49 km from the Novoyelnya railway station which is on the Baranovichi-Lida line. It is situated on the bank of Neman and attracts tourists with a gorgeous castle, which is being restored by volunteers for ten years.
Lubcha was first mentioned in historical chronicles in 1401 as an object of interest of knights-crusaders, who at that time invaded the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Like many other Belarussian settlements, Lubcha belonged to many different owners. For example, Meleshkovich, Kholonevsky, Khreptovich, Gashtold, Kishka dynasties. Jan Kishka built the castle in 1581, which stands here to the present day.
Lubcha received the Magdeburg right in 1590 and obtained its own coat of arms. The main attraction of the settlement is depicted on it: two towers with a gate between them.
The Radziwill dynasty owned these lands as well. The famous dynasty contributed to the development of the settlement: they invited townspeople from big towns to live here, opened workshops, printing house (founded by P.B. Kmit).
Lubcha was part of the Russian Empire since 1795. 3 374 inhabitants lived there by the end of the XIX century. Then it belonged to Poland from 1921 to 1939. It became part of the BSSR in 1939. The tragic events of World War II wiped out all the population of Lubcha with Jewish roots, tortured to death in the ghetto.
The number of residents did not increase after the war. Nowadays, more than a thousand people live here.
The Castle in Lubcha is a real pearl, a rough diamond of Novogrudok lands, unfortunately, already in bad condition for a long time. There’s nothing surprising - the building is already over four hundred years old! The date of construction of the castle is stamped on the weathercock. It says 1581. Only two stone towers preserved to present days.
The original building, built by Jan Kishka, was wooden, except a stone tower, to which the Radziwills added three more stone towers and structures inside the castle courtyard, also built of stone. At one time the castle was captured and the two towers were destroyed, that's why only two of them preserved.
As mentioned above, the castle is being restored, thus, the castle in Lubcha will be no less popular than the Mir Castle or ruins of the castle in Novogrudok in the nearest future..